Submitted by CrosseyedDixieChick t3_yiizth in vermont

I noticed a large group of guys eating at Buffalo Wild Wings on Shelburne road on Friday around 630/7. They all had on shirts that said "SEM". Super polite group.

I cannot figure out what SEM stands for, and google isn't helping. I believe they were high school but possibly college.

Does anyone know what school this was?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

bleahdeebleah t1_iuizecm wrote

Scanning Electron Microscope is all I can think of.

8valvegrowl t1_iuj23yg wrote

Also can stand for Search Engine Marketing (aka those targeted ads you see based on your search history). Although scanning electron microscopes are way cooler.

In physics grad school I got to play with electron tunneling, cool stuff. Also, little known fact, MRI is actually known as NMR, Nuclear Magnetic Resonance, they dropped the Nuclear from the name to make it more publicly palatable. We had to build a basic NMR device in grad lab first year, wicked fun.

whaletacochamp t1_iuj20tc wrote

Came here to make the same unhelpful comment lol.

Although UVM has a whole department dedicated to its SEM....so it's a possibility.

deadeye_catfish t1_iujsc8o wrote

Search Engine Marketing.

It's an abbreviation that describes a subsection of digital marketing that promotes websites via paid advertising on search engines like Google.

You probably encountered a softball team or something made up of employees from Dealer.com, New Breed Marketing, or one of the other digital agencies in town. Their shirts probably had that abbreviation printed as a fun team name.

dropkickninja t1_iujxa2p wrote

Ha. New Breed Marketing... Did they name themselves that because of the constant turnover?

stogorec t1_iujef0y wrote

A Far-Right extremist group!

−7