Submitted by whiskey_overboard t3_xu58hh in vermont

We just did socks (Darn Tough ftw), now do house shoes. Specifically more rugged than indoor comfiness.

Have a pair of indoor/outdoor shoe made of boiled wool with cork footbeds. They were discontinued a few years back and I bought three pair. I love them dearly, but the final pair will not last through the winter.

Need something that can survive a dash to the woodpile, letting the new-to-VT dog out, and “going to work” everyday in the home office.

So, what makes a pair of cold feet warm these days? And can you actually buy anything in person anymore?!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

blue_river_ventures t1_iqtxlvy wrote

Tried many. Always revert back to crocs. Say what you will.

RegalRhombus t1_iqu0fgb wrote

Can confirm, insulated crocs are the tits for winter house shoes. Real lifesavers when I worked in ski boots

whaletacochamp t1_iqvcvb6 wrote

After years of doing nothing but LL Bean leather slippers, I’m going this route too. I generally don’t really need warmth. I need support and breathability. Crocs got both

mistahboogs t1_iqvxizb wrote

I just bought a pair of the fur lined ones from Lenny’s yesterday haha wore them all day while watching football. Took the trash out, no need to transition my footwear. 10/10 would recommend

obiwanjabroni420 t1_iqy3uhp wrote

Crocs are perfect for going out to the hot tub in winter, but for inside I really liked my LL Bean flannel lined slippers. The fleece/sherpa ones are always too warm, but the flannel is just right.

In summer, though, I switch over to some slip-on Sanuks for my house shoes. They are the perfect warm weather house shoe.

liamvt21 t1_iqttg8w wrote

Ll bean has some decent options they have a store in Williston.

IndefinableMustache t1_iqtuhpz wrote

I second LL Bean Slippers. There’s another store in W Leb too.

andicandi22 t1_iqvk797 wrote

I have a pair of their moccasins going on 10+ years. I really should look into a new pair since the lining of mine is almost worn out. But they’re so comfy!

PaleontologistLanky t1_iqvz23v wrote

I burn through a set of LL Bean moccasins every year. They start busting at seams and such within a year. I wear them all the time though.

illusivealchemist t1_iqwd6q7 wrote

damn, what are you doing to them? lol. in all fairness, the quality and craftsmanship is a bit different from before their moccs got popular around 2008-09 and they got rid of their return policy

[deleted] t1_iqtxkoa wrote

I love ll bean slippers. Can survive a brief dash in the snow to let my dogs do their business

ms_malaprop t1_iqus7ew wrote

Glerups. Just got myself a pair and they’re cozy and easy and give my feet support. Those Scandinavians know a thing or two about winter comfort. The rubber sole is probably best for the trips to the woodpile but the leather is what I got and I love them.

[deleted] t1_iqvk9xa wrote

third vote for Glerups, mine are amazing.

Dangerous_Hope4831 t1_iqtxkq1 wrote

Ugg’s have great inside shoes as well

twdvermont t1_iqviu6c wrote

Those are the best. I just got rid of a pair after 10 years when my puppy ate the insoles. They probably would have lasted another 10.

Terrible_Evidence t1_iqu90it wrote

I basically live in my ll bean moccasins in the winter

jerometerrible t1_iqvcwve wrote

You asked for badass...these ain't cheap but they're nice as hell! All the other answers are wrong ;-)

https://queencitydrygoods.com/collections/house-shoes

butthowling t1_iqvwf9s wrote

I honestly expected this to be the top comment, VT made and incredibly nice shoes

chesbyiii t1_iqwgvcf wrote

Just got a pair of these. Skip the other out-of-state-made brands and get these. SO comfortable. They're pricey but they're also very well built.

zkentvt t1_iqyo7th wrote

Those are nice. I'll have to put a pair on my wish list.

whooobaby t1_iqttiyv wrote

Stegmann clogs are my go-to

Ok_Emu703 t1_iqu5zi1 wrote

Teva Ember Mocs have been a favorite in our family

Wader_Man t1_iqu2ng5 wrote

Sheepskin-lined leather moccasins, with or without rubber sole depending on your preference.

ATPVT2018 t1_iqvhoto wrote

Vermont Country Store has 2 locations in southern VT and still does lifetime warranty on their slippers. The moccasins with a rubber sole are bulletproof.

mercurialmalachi t1_iqv4bjc wrote

Haflinger wool clogs with cork soles. Great support, warm and cute too.

chivonster t1_iqv94gs wrote

I bought a pair of fuzzy lined Crocs for cheap at BJ's. I regret nothing. I forget they're on my feet and wear them places a few times each winter.

FyuckerFjord t1_iqu1rgd wrote

I use a mix of Uggs, Crocs and Deerforms depending on the weather, but that's only because those all come in a size 16/17. None are exactly right - Crocs too cold, Uggs too warm and Deerforms too soft in the sole/slippery.

Still searching for that perfect house shoe in my size.

lilolemi t1_iquam0w wrote

LL Bean wool slides are the answer.

jitterybrat t1_iqw0okm wrote

Love love Uggs for warmth and softness. I wear them every winter religiously lol.

bangell14 t1_iqw212g wrote

Basic adidas slides.

Hear me out: I’ve had one pair for almost a decade with no signs of wear. They’re easy to slide on and off. And most importantly, I can modulate the warmth based on what kind of socks (if any) I wear with them, making them a year-round house shoe.

Neither-Magazine9096 t1_irs4jka wrote

My adidas slides are my house shoes too. Had them since college 16 years ago, they still look great.

fungiyenta t1_iqu02e3 wrote

Allbirds are good although mine wore out after a couple seasons.

MizLucinda t1_iqu7qp1 wrote

I have a pair of wool Haflinger clogs that I use for just this purpose! My husband has a pair of shearling-lined Birkenstocks (Boston clogs) that he uses as winter slippers.

Cahoonhollow t1_iqvcrmg wrote

We are a Birkenstock slipper family. Love them. Or as mom I love them and gifted them to everyone who now also love them. Boiled wool with solid bottom.

jsled t1_iqvelp3 wrote

The Wirecutter: Best Slippers

I'm on my second pair of LL Bean Wicked Good Mocs … the first pair (from a couple of years ago) sits in the sunroom for outside trips (mud, chickens, dogs, &c.), and I wear the "inside" pair basically all day every day (WFH).

They're good.

bonanzapineapple t1_iqvhnh2 wrote

A couple years ago I got a pair from Minne Tonka. They're great!

Zap_Franka t1_iqvse4c wrote

since you're basically describing my life, I can personally attest to my Merrell sherpa lined clogs. These are cozy (replaceable footbed), have good support, they hang on, and have excellent traction. Merrells wear like iron too.

None of the Bean options will even come close to this.

distressefakeleather t1_iqvzivk wrote

LL bean Wicked Good Slippers ™️, I’ve had a pair for 8 years worn outside and inside and they’ve held up outside very well. I also have a pair of strictly indoor ones that are great. Sometimes you can find great deals at the outlets, but they are well worth the price and if worn solely indoors will last you years.

They are also able to handle some snow if you have to briefly run out to grab wood, let out the dog, etc.

melliferaman t1_iqw5mrv wrote

Minnetonka all the way. I have the moose hide ones with rubber soles and they’re still in great condition after 3 years of regular wear. Can also get the sheepskin lined ones but I find those to easily make my feet sweat

walkstap t1_iqwd5n2 wrote

I've never had anything more comfortable or warm than these

zkentvt t1_iqyo1ry wrote

I'll probably get downvoted, but I love my MySlippers.

I have an old, cold house and thick soles are a must. Memory foam that stays comfy. I've worn them on a quick trip to the store.

Most slippers typically only last one season before falking apart or losing all resilience but I am entering a second year and MySlippers are still going strong.

JankyIngenue t1_iqu1q7k wrote

I have these which are very similar to what you described and I love them!

nomadicbohunk t1_iqu2hld wrote

I think Giesswein are pretty good. I wear mine a lot when I'm not working (probably 6 days a week for a few years) and do garage work in them/walk in the snow with them, etc. I'm kind of surprised they've lasted as long as they have. They're like what you had, but with rubber soles. I kind of treat them like work boots after I take my work boots off to be honest.

I wore them to an auto parts store (mid project) a couple days ago and some guy said, "A man with slippers on and greasy hands....you've got your priorities straight."

I've got the Veitsch, but those Vents look better. Honestly with how I treat them, they have no right to have lasted 1 year, let alone 3 with no end in sight.

g33kfish t1_iqu3uyd wrote

Rubber Birkenstocks with thick wool socks

vtmtct t1_iqufzzl wrote

Teva Reember

UncoolDad31 t1_iqv3zw4 wrote

LL bean slippers are my favorite. But I also recently got crocs and love those as well.

JabbaTheHedgeHog t1_iqv838u wrote

Love my crocs. BUT. Rubber soles cause static shocks. When they get bad, I have to switch to leather soled slippers.

Gilashot t1_iqwq7nn wrote

Crocs and socks

Whynotski3 t1_iqu5edr wrote

Both chacos and TNF make nice slippers. Crocs without the holes can also work!

thetoneranger t1_iqvb3gt wrote

They’re called wool socks.

−2