Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ExpressionFamiliar98 t1_ir5kg4z wrote

Apologies for appearing toxic. I read your post and the 'three years' skiing stuck with me. I was concerned for your safety.

Background: grew up skiing, became a ski instructor in my teens. Grew up skiing in the east and skied out west a number of times. Personally jealous you can get out and ski where you have. (Check out skiing in NZ when you can)

I spent my younger years stupidly racing through trees - younger body, more resilient, more bangs, fewer injuries. I can't imagine doing what I did as a kid in my thirties. I was able to work on my form and the art of skiing as an instructor (not in the trees) with high-grade pros teaching technical sessions.

For trees: there is no rhythm in turning like there is in the open except for a few glorious turns once in a while; beware of branches (one caught me in the face because it was pointing at me and I could not see it - it thankfully did not go through my eye); know the snow cover and how deep the snow is; know the terrain; know the conditions (powder vs hard pack); be ready to avoid anything at any time - be light on your skis; know how to get yourself out of a tree well; know when not to go into the trees.

For cliffs: know the landing; know the snow; know how to land in deep power (lean back and use your butt to absorb the momentum); how to land on hard pack (don't do the above).

This comes from years of experience and (thankfully) no broken bones or being stranded on a mountain overnight. When in doubt - don't do it!! I doubt lessons from someone could properly convey this... best bet, buddy-up with some ski bums and learn from them.

Again, this is no fucking joke.