Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

cpujockey OP t1_isnya7d wrote

Yeah part of the "problem" is I eat real authentic tacos and mexican food when visiting the mrs' family and I cook pretty good tacos. Just nothing about this visit screamed come back for more or the food is good. I am surprised how much business they were pulling in.

−10

justreadthearticle t1_isnzjwy wrote

Isn't this just the reality of the Mexican food in New England? Outside of the stretch of I-95 that goes from NYC to Portland, is there actually any authentic Mexican in the northeast? If so, can you list them out because I'm always looking.

pro_conser333 t1_isnzv4f wrote

Try Aranda’s in Barre/Berlin on 302. It’s amazing and definitely authentic.

cpujockey OP t1_iso04my wrote

I'll keep that in mind if I'm around that area.

I am down in Addison county so food choices are not exactly top not unless you want to go to tourtelle and spend a boat load of cash on some really adventurous tasty food.

pro_conser333 t1_isprhri wrote

I know this is an unpopular opinion here but I find it hard to find good restaurants in Vermont. It’s like they are afraid to use spices and give the food some flavor. There’s only a small handful of restaurants that I enjoy here.

cpujockey OP t1_isprt0n wrote

> It’s like they are afraid to use spices and give the food some flavor.

yes and a lot of times they are afraid of authentic amounts of flavors too.

nomadicbohunk t1_iso5x2v wrote

This might help: In Springfield, MA...Hartford CT area....Framingham, MA. Somewhere in Western MA I found actual homemade Oaxacan mole at some place. Waltham, MA has a couple good places too. I'm kind of lumping Salvadorian/Guatemalan in with Mexican here... Oh yeah. There's a truck in Springfield right off the interstate that's REALLY good. Good for anywhere and I've lived all over and grew up on this kind of food on the regular. Um, they make those birria tacos with Oxacan cheese where they griddle them like in Tijiuana. I haven't gotten those there yet. Look that up and you'll find them. Most places are very solid, but they still make me miss my favorite trucks and shacks in Mexico and across the US.

Springfield does have some super solid food options in general if you're into the whole $5 food made by a grandma in a shack thing rather than the VT $30 hyper local hipster thing. The $75 fried chicken in Winooski cracks me up. Someone took me there. It was fine, but I'd had better fried chicken in the south from gas stations for about 1/5 the price.

TheMobyDicks t1_isoz6tk wrote

There is a small section of Lynn, MA (yeah, I know...) that is Guatemalan and on both sides of the street you get authentic Guatemalan food, in restaurants and grocery.

cpujockey OP t1_isnzvxc wrote

the fucked up thing is it's not hard to make authentic mexican food. I'd say it's one of the easiest most delicious things to cook at home hands down.

additionally, if an establishment is going to veer off the authentic path, at least do it well, be brave, do things unconventional - not cheap and an imitation.

Not Not Tacos does it right according to my friends in CA when it comes to stepping outside the box and doing cool shit with tacos. But these guys really need to step up their game.

−4

ElDub73 t1_iso0mtl wrote

It’s not hard to make authentic Mexican?

I’d suggest it’s not hard to make crappy inauthentic Mexican.

The real stuff is not that easy.

cpujockey OP t1_iso1qj8 wrote

> The real stuff is not that easy.

I guess a lot of you don't have much experience in a kitchen. I worked with st. pierre catering in my formative years before moving on to IT. I also had a passion for food growing up especially food that was spicy. Alton Brown, Jacques Pepin, Justin Wilson, and others were my idols growing up on tv. I guess I just really love food.

−4

ElDub73 t1_iso3t54 wrote

I didn’t say I couldn’t cook it; I was just trying to get across that it’s hard to make it they way they do in the areas known for that food.