Submitted by ThirdFirstName t3_yd656o in vermont

Hello, I was wondering where people like to backcountry ski near the Burlington area. I have skied Bolton and Brandon gap a few times. I know the Bolton up hill pass isn’t that much money but I can’t justify paying for it. I would like to go before work as much as possible, but not sure if this is possible unless I go to Bolton. Are there any spots you recommend I check out this year?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

YPG-Got-Raqqa t1_itq8sqc wrote

There isn't much BC skiing in VT that isn't in areas where trees have been trimmed. I'm in Rutland county so I pretty much only know the areas around here but I think that Bolton is your best bet. What you pay for in the pass gets you the skiable lines.

PromiseNorth t1_itqbgww wrote

Dewey, laraway, Stowe & smuggs @ night, Bolton from notch rd.. etc etc.

rockpharmer t1_itqj5ks wrote

Check out Goodman’s Backcountry in the Northeast book

Alphawarrior108 t1_itqssjj wrote

I’ve seen people skiing Camel’s Hump, but I’ve never tried it.

SirAidandRinglocks t1_itrrw9x wrote

Are you seriously asking for people to post their stashes on reddit?

ThirdFirstName OP t1_itsfqmp wrote

Not asking for the best, just good options to get out and have some fun this season. Why do people feel like letting others have fun is going to take away from their experience? It’s back country, it’s not like every person who skis has the desire to climb up hill.

Jerry_Williams69 t1_itsgfj3 wrote

If you are looking for a bunny hill, a lot of people ski the fire break at the north end of 289 where the VAST trailhead and park and ride lot are.

YPG-Got-Raqqa t1_itswc2c wrote

There are almost no unimproved slopes in vt that are skiable. All I could think of is the stuff above tree line. Everything else has been trimmed and had blow down removed in order to be skiable.

Try to cut off the trail at a ski area where the woods haven’t been improved at all to see what I mean.

If you find yourself ripping trees in the vt backcountry, give a little thanks to whoever cut that line for you. Clearing a totally un worked line into skiable glades with hand tools will take a few guys an entire day to just do a thousand feet.

YPG-Got-Raqqa t1_itswkmx wrote

Because the stuff that is skiable has been worked on by people during the summer. I spent an entire 10 hour day this summer with another dude to make probably 1000’ of vertical skiable. It is brutal back breaking work and after a good snow it will only have room for a few untracked lines.

VTpowpatrol t1_ittmlug wrote

Check out the Catamount Trail Association— there’s a wealth of info and ideas.

FunkyOldMayo t1_itu2gma wrote

There’s no skiable BC in Rutland or Windsor county, everything good is up north.