Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Not_the_sharpest_1 t1_isgpla6 wrote

While I do understand it may seem to have a troubling association, it is simply named after the original proprietor, Thomas White. He and his business partner Michael Power bought the place together, with Thomas' wife Mary running the place day-to-day. Michael sold his stake to the couple a few years later and they shortened the name of the store at that time.

In consideration of current sensibilities, I think they should consider renaming again. I think it'd be great if they would use the wife's maiden name instead. That way you could still have it named after the family, the troubling association would be gone, and Mary Klan would finally get the recognition she is due for all the work she put into keeping the place running.

None of this is true (as far as I know).

Left-Link5070 t1_isiab6u wrote

A guy named Fred Bona started it in Lyndonville in the 1950s. He was italian and worked there every day until his late 70s when he got robbed in his parking lot one night. I knew him well for 30 years He did a lot for the local community. Was given many citizenship awards but he’d never talk about it. Great guy. Definitely not a racist.

Real-Pierre-Delecto2 t1_istqz3t wrote

Just to correct the record Fred bought the White Market in the very early 60's 62 or 63ish.