Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

BurtonFive t1_iup8qaf wrote

Unpopular opinion, but why not just let them go through the notch. Make it a two lane road and call it a day. That turn is dangerous even for cars, it’s pretty much impossible to tell if someone’s on the other side of that rock. Plus that place is so busy anyway it’s not like a few trucks are going to somehow destroy the surrounding area. I guess it’s possible that road is just not built to support the weight of those trucks either though.

Biggest issue might be the grade coming down though and brakes giving out, if they went that way.

Without letting them go through I think top comment has got it. Get them stuck before they get to the top, maybe around the smuggs top lot parking entrance.

-_Stove_- t1_iupbafa wrote

...Because they get stuck? I think you missed the point.

Unless you're suggesting widening the road, which is a serious non-starter.

BurtonFive t1_iuq2c6r wrote

Yes was suggesting widening the road to make two lanes. I know it’s that whole change thing though. Can’t live without those few extra turns and taking the leap of faith you won’t plow into some dude from Massachusetts that doesn’t yield when he is supposed to.

−1

-_Stove_- t1_iuqy83x wrote

Tell me, how would you make 108 a wider road without completely destroying the Notch as it is now?

BurtonFive t1_iur6hag wrote

Not saying widen the entire road, just straighten out the few turns the trucks get stuck at. Don’t advertise the route and still have fines/signs enforced by police for trucks over certain lengths/weights. Just don’t make it a multi hour nuisance to everyone around when people are stupid.

−3

-_Stove_- t1_iur7ioa wrote

"Don't advertise the route" -it's VT 108, a state highway.

"Just straight a few turns" -this is a geotechnical engineering project, which again will destroy the notch as it is currently.

BurtonFive t1_iur7w22 wrote

The notch is more then those two turns with the giant boulders… But as I started with, unpopular opinion.

−1

Icy_Ad6087 t1_iuppnfb wrote

Blast the rocks! Very unpleasant but effective.