Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Mallard_a4_Thoth t1_ixdq1qr wrote

It can get weird. My father once got a notice by mail that he was being fined for illegal parking in Rutland, a city he'd never been to. He ignored it, assuming it was a scam letter. Two weeks later, he got a second letter informing him that his fine had doubled for non-payment. Then he got a letter stating he'd missed his court date. He kept trying to call the traffic court to straighten the mystery out, but couldn't get hold of anyone.

Finally, after MONTHS of mounting fines, he managed to get a person on the phone. He tried to explain that he'd never even been to Rutland. They rattled off his license plate number.

"Yes, that's my plate." "Well sir, our records indicate that your Volkswagen Passat was parked in - " "I don't have a Volkswagen Passat." "Yes, sir. Your black Passat, license number da-da-da." "... You mean my blue Dodge pickup, truck plate # da-da-da?" "Uhhhhh....."

Turns out there was a truck plate and a car plate with the same digits, and they stopped at the first one they found without making sure the vehicle details matched. 🤦🏻‍♂️

RegalRhombus t1_ixeatxx wrote

Yeah, the truck plate distinction causes headaches like that. Throws up issues on the border too.

lantonas t1_ixf1pm9 wrote

That's what happens when you give some lonely old retired lady the power of being a metermaid.