Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Nutmegdog1959 t1_ivntsk7 wrote

Holy Shih Tzu! That sounds terrifying. A squirrel startled me yesterday evening and I haven't recovered yet.

clamdigger t1_ivohzdn wrote

Paging r/flashlight, which is always quick to celebrate the world’s belighted heroes.

Unique-Public-8594 t1_ivny0ci wrote

Summary:

Winhall - 40 min northeast of Bennington

Sarah Dietl, 43 yo

Nov 2, 10p

boyfriend hit bear with flashlight

ThisistheInfiniteIs t1_ivonvql wrote

>Summary:
>
>Winhall - 40 min northeast of Bennington
>
>Sarah Dietl, 43 yo, irresponsible dog owner who doesn't simply use a leash
>
>Nov 2, 10p
>
>Her untrained loose dog harasses the wildlife and causes a bear attack

FTFY

−4

JerryKook t1_ivpnqfa wrote

3 cheers for her boyfriend. He was quick thinking and brave. Not sure what I would have done in that situation.

xxKingAmongKingsxx t1_ivpylve wrote

Mauled seems pretty generous based on her (lack of) injuries

samstankfinger t1_ivogut3 wrote

The link doesn't work for me.

1DollarOr1Million t1_ivoyi6b wrote

Bear encounters have been crazy high this year. For this reason I’ve started carrying both bear spray and a pistol when in the wilderness, hiking, walking in the woods etc.

Stay smart, stay safe out there.

Twombls t1_ivp70wf wrote

Black bears run away when you yell at them lfmao. Jist use a bear container and keep your distance from cubs. No need to shoot them.

−2

1DollarOr1Million t1_ivp9l5m wrote

Obviously the intention is to never have a run-in in the first place, or to scare them off if I do. But as you see here, that’s not always what happens and you can be blindsided. Bear spray would be the first choice, but if that doesn’t work, better a dead bear than a dead human. So I see it as levels of escalation. Better to have it and not need it…

ThisistheInfiniteIs t1_ivq4rgf wrote

Seriously, just keep your animal on a leash so they don't harass the wildlife and you are fine.

Twombls t1_ivogae9 wrote

Lol yeah this is why you use leashes

JerryKook t1_ivp6s3q wrote

I am for keeping dogs on leashes in most circumstances but I disagree with you here.

Most people with a yard (in a rural area) and a dog that won't take off, will let their dog out to do it's business. I always did. Granted my dogs were medium sized dogs. After my dogs did their business, they were anxious to get back in to be with us.

I am not advocating letting your dog roam.

Even the game warden did say put your dog on a leash.

Game warden Kyle Isherwood said: “Before letting pets out at night, I would urge Vermonters to light their yards and make plenty of noise to allow wildlife in the area time to move on.”

bigtimesauce t1_ivrpk7z wrote

Scaring stuff out of the yard is just like Fall 101 in Vermont

JimTheJerseyGuy t1_ivr76fn wrote

The last part is always a good idea. A neighbor of my living in rural NJ had her Springer gored by a buck one night when she let him out to do his thing. Fortunately the dog was OK but it could have ended badly.

ThisistheInfiniteIs t1_ivood5h wrote

Yup, pretty selfish and stupid to just let your dog run out into the night with no supervision whatsoever.

This is what happens when you are too selfish and lazy to use a leash.

She is lucky that her, her boyfriend and her idiotic dog were not more seriously injured or all killed because of her irresponsible actions.

This incident and the resulting injuries are 100% on her. At least the bear got away without being killed this time.

−10

Twombls t1_ivoorw7 wrote

I wouldn't let a small dog like a shitzu run out during the day in vt either. Large predatory birds will kill them.

ThisistheInfiniteIs t1_ivop6ji wrote

Yup, a bird of prey could snatch one up in a heartbeat.

Some people unfortunately do not take the responsibility of owning a pet seriously, like this selfish, lazy woman.

−8

JerryKook t1_ivp7onq wrote

I am guessing this is not over with. Bears attacking people is extremely rare.

This is the kind of stuff that happens when there are too many bears.

−2

ThisistheInfiniteIs t1_ivpmbhs wrote

No, this is what happens when irresponsible dog owners make no o effort to train or restrain their dogs.

And it's not that uncommon for loose dogs who are harassing wildlife to lead to an attack, in fact it is likely the leading cause.

ThisistheInfiniteIs t1_ivokjdk wrote

Another irresponsible, selfish dog owner gets some instant karma.

Keep your dog on a leash people, if your dog is loose and harasses the wildlife and you get attacked, that's on you.

−8

AtomicWaffle420 t1_ivs1hqt wrote

You're really gonna leash your dog inside your yard? Lmao. Please shut the fuck up, you have left so many super salty messages in this thread, you look unhinged.