Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

jcov7 t1_iycke8h wrote

Reply to comment by WhyAmIOld in In search of Cuban food by wontonsoop78

My fiancée and her family could care less if you say Spanish or Latino/a lol they refer to food as Spanish.

WhyAmIOld t1_iyd6uxj wrote

I know that most latinos who were born in the US or moved here are comfortable with it. However, the term is wrong. I am South American and I know for a fact we Latin Americans hate us or our national/regional food being called "Spanish," because it's not

jcov7 t1_iyd89t1 wrote

I think you took my reply the wrong way. I am saying that since we are referring to food, I do not think it matters to call it Latino, Latina, or Spanish food. Every Latino or Latina that I know calls it Spanish food and I’ve never heard them say Latino food and have never cared for how you say it, but that is from my experience and my fiancées experience. I guess you could say food from Latin American countries if you want to use the correct terminology, but I really don’t think it matters.

I am not calling a Latino or Latina Spanish. I am simply referring to food. It seems that you are from Peru and maybe in Peru they say “I am in the mood for Latino food”, but from my experience it’s always been called Spanish food and that is why I said Spanish food.

(FYI my fiancée and her family are from DR, half of my family is from Argentina which is South America). I lived in Miami, FL for many years around a diverse Hispanic population).

Edit: you just edited your reply (your original reply before you edited was that I was calling Latino’s/Latina’s Spanish, in which that was never even mentioned, but I’ll reiterate that I am not referring to your heritage or nationality or region. I am referring to FOOD. You seem to be the only one taking offense for absolutely no reason.