Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

rivunel t1_iz5vg32 wrote

Gross. Literally does nothing good for a community and helps to drive other locally owned businesses away.

AudioxBlood t1_iz608du wrote

I live in a state that these are littered all over the place. Used to, you'd go there and get a whole basket of donated items for a reasonable price. The other day, I spent $8 each on two long sleeve over shirts, and there was a cast iron brandless pan that needed work priced at $15.

They're taking all of the good things donated and Hocking them on their online bidding store. So not only are they getting these items for free, they're screwing over the public even worse by refusing to put them into stores. You used to be able to buy large buckets of broken jewelry for crafts for $10. Now, they run about $30 for 2 pounds of jewelry and you have to pay shipping.

They're a garbage company for a lot of reasons, but being structured as a nonprofit and making a killing on things donated by other people not privy to their shittery is pretty high on the list.

rivunel t1_iz60fvf wrote

Literally don't know of a positive from goodwill moving into rutland it's more expensive than other thrift stores and dirtier and yeah.. just everything about it is bad.

AudioxBlood t1_iz60sgs wrote

I live in Texas, and one of our state mottos is "fuck you people" so of course they run rampant down here.

[deleted] t1_iz9iwr7 wrote

I don’t agree with the practices of good will, however, as a poor person who is in constant need of cheap work clothing. I appreciate this. It will be helpful for a lot of people in the area.

There are a few different small thrift shops in Brattleboro of which I will still try to go to first, but they are so small and so busy that it is often hard to find what you are looking for, like pants for instance.

So yeah, goodwill, is somewhat of a catch 22 because the company itself isn’t great, but now I (and many others) don’t have to travel to the Salvation Army in Keene. (I would also like to remind everyone that the Salvation Army is a terrible company as well).

Do you shop at Amazon? Walmart? Hannafords? None of these businesses do anything for the community yet we’re all guilty of shopping there, sounds to me like you’re sort of singling out good will because of the implications given in the name.

Edit: I would also like to remind you that goodwill is going to be in the old peebles building in high was vacant for like what, 3 years?

rivunel t1_iz9udm2 wrote

There are 3 other thrift stores in brattleboro? The goodwill moving to rutland severely reduced the business going to the local homeless shelter/ thrift store. And shut the salvation army store in rutland down within 2 months of moving in.

[deleted] t1_izabtpj wrote

Yeah there are, most are vintage goods which means expensive, experienced goods is the only decent thrift store around but it is hard to find work clothing in my size as stated before.

Seems like your previous comment is also filled with a lot of speculation..

rivunel t1_izac0pu wrote

I was the assistant director and worked at the homeless shelter/ thrift store in rutland for 20 years regularly talked to all of the individuals that ran the local 501c3 thrift busniesses. 0 speculation I literally got to tell the goodwill manager we didn't want their trash donated to us. They received too many donations so they brought their literal trash the stuff they couldn't sell to try and donate it to us.

[deleted] t1_izan1h5 wrote

Regardless, you are taking one instance, and applying it to everything across the board. You are speculating what may happen in Brattleboro, except you are delivering it as though is fact.

Fake Example: we ordered a turkey from Whole Foods for Xmas and it was undercooked, therefore all Whole Foods under cook turkeys.

Sounds silly right?

ChaplinCrabtree t1_iz68z92 wrote

If I know anything about Brattleboro it’s that Experienced Goods runs the show as far as thrifting goes!

captainogbleedmore t1_iz6rw4t wrote

The only good thing about them where I came from was the open dumpsters and willingness to take "any" donations. Affordable waste mitigation is one of the only things I miss from living in other places compared to here.

Formal_Coyote_5004 t1_iz8gcjl wrote

Goodwill is fucking trash. Support local thrift stores instead.

woburnite t1_iz7m5xx wrote

Used to go to the one in Rutland, never found anything to buy.

Fliael t1_iz8nrto wrote

Ah, good! Another location that will accept your donations, then promptly sell them online instead of recirculating them through the community.

Trajikbpm t1_iztgvj0 wrote

Treats employees like garbage