Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

[deleted] t1_iz9iwr7 wrote

I don’t agree with the practices of good will, however, as a poor person who is in constant need of cheap work clothing. I appreciate this. It will be helpful for a lot of people in the area.

There are a few different small thrift shops in Brattleboro of which I will still try to go to first, but they are so small and so busy that it is often hard to find what you are looking for, like pants for instance.

So yeah, goodwill, is somewhat of a catch 22 because the company itself isn’t great, but now I (and many others) don’t have to travel to the Salvation Army in Keene. (I would also like to remind everyone that the Salvation Army is a terrible company as well).

Do you shop at Amazon? Walmart? Hannafords? None of these businesses do anything for the community yet we’re all guilty of shopping there, sounds to me like you’re sort of singling out good will because of the implications given in the name.

Edit: I would also like to remind you that goodwill is going to be in the old peebles building in high was vacant for like what, 3 years?

rivunel t1_iz9udm2 wrote

There are 3 other thrift stores in brattleboro? The goodwill moving to rutland severely reduced the business going to the local homeless shelter/ thrift store. And shut the salvation army store in rutland down within 2 months of moving in.

[deleted] t1_izabtpj wrote

Yeah there are, most are vintage goods which means expensive, experienced goods is the only decent thrift store around but it is hard to find work clothing in my size as stated before.

Seems like your previous comment is also filled with a lot of speculation..

rivunel t1_izac0pu wrote

I was the assistant director and worked at the homeless shelter/ thrift store in rutland for 20 years regularly talked to all of the individuals that ran the local 501c3 thrift busniesses. 0 speculation I literally got to tell the goodwill manager we didn't want their trash donated to us. They received too many donations so they brought their literal trash the stuff they couldn't sell to try and donate it to us.

[deleted] t1_izan1h5 wrote

Regardless, you are taking one instance, and applying it to everything across the board. You are speculating what may happen in Brattleboro, except you are delivering it as though is fact.

Fake Example: we ordered a turkey from Whole Foods for Xmas and it was undercooked, therefore all Whole Foods under cook turkeys.

Sounds silly right?