Submitted by angkraft_71 t3_zg3z2m in vermont

Jan 9-16th where to go and what to do? We are staying in Burlington. Not skiers. Will have our little dog with us, so pet friendly places are a plus. What are some "musts"? Favorite places to eat? Great little shops? I plan to go to Stowe, Waitsfield, and Montpelier....other ideas? Also, how are the snowmobiling trips? Edit #2. Favorite breakfast, lunch, or dinner spots appreciated. Not tied to Burlington. We are staying there. But would like to explore different areas each day.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Spiritual-Parsnip-48 t1_izfz2w8 wrote

Vermont Fine in Richmond just opened a couple months ago, great dinner spot. Incredible farm to table food with a very Vermonty vibe

angkraft_71 OP t1_izh8yq3 wrote

100% added to my list! Tysm for the suggestion! We love places like this!

Accomplished_Scar717 t1_izf6gg8 wrote

Many addresses and phone numbers will have changed, but here is a useful article. You’ll also want to go to the Shelburne Museum. 36 hours in Burlington. Similar articles are available for Montpelier, Stowe, and Manchester. Check Seven Days Vermont for event listings.

21stCenturyJanes t1_izg53io wrote

You can try snowshoeing at Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe. It's not hard and quite a nice way to get out in the winter.

JerryKook t1_izeyfs0 wrote

First I would go to Brattleboro, fun little city. Go to the Etsey Organ Museum.

Then go to Gagne Mapple in Highgate.

Then go to the Bennington War Memorial.

Then go to the Goodrich Memorial Library in Newport.

[deleted] t1_izf0oe3 wrote

[deleted]

−1

JerryKook t1_izf4b84 wrote

You gave us no details of where you were going or what you wanted to see. You didn't give any details about your group. Are they athletic? How old are they? Do they like to drink? What are their interest?

I gave you a snarky response that sending you to the 4 corners of VT. People here love to give advice but you need to help us help you.

angkraft_71 OP t1_izffh71 wrote

So kind of you....and oh so welcoming

−12

DearMisterWard t1_izfloft wrote

If you can’t take a little snark you’re better off not visiting Vermont at all.

MadmanTardy t1_izezpb2 wrote

Ben and Jerry's factory in Waterbury

anthemwithal t1_izfgu4h wrote

Walk out on the causeway in Colchester. It’s only 15 minutes away.

Twombls t1_izgypkc wrote

You picked the coldest time of the year to visit.

That being said I reccomend walking out onto the colchester causeway. Its really cool

angkraft_71 OP t1_izh9dp3 wrote

It looks beautiful! Maybe the mild weather will continue? Being from Wisconsin and Chicago, the cold doesn't really bother me.

Twombls t1_izh9mnd wrote

Kind of a dice roll. It will either be 0 and windy. Or 65 and raining. No way to predict.

angkraft_71 OP t1_izhawi5 wrote

I will be happy with any weather, really. Vermont is somewhere I have always wanted to visit. I am very much looking forward to our trip there. Are the lakes and rivers froze over? Ice fishing?

Twombls t1_izhb4xr wrote

Assuming we get a good winter things will freeze over. There is ice fishing in some higher elevation ponds pretty regularly. Lake champlain doesn't really freeze until feb now.

MizLucinda t1_izhk1wf wrote

Fren, I too am from the Great Lakes Midwest, and I will tell you, Great Lakes Midwest cold does not prepare you for vermont cold. You are welcome to visit and find out.

angkraft_71 OP t1_izhnz3x wrote

Oh boy! Time to break out the REAL winter gear! Very much looking forward to the experience.

Corey307 t1_izjp3tf wrote

Greatly doubt it, yes it’s currently warmer than it should be but I would not assume that that weather would hold for another month or more.

timberwolf0122 t1_izfdqhf wrote

Google VT breweries. Magic hat is fun

OwlBeDamned t1_izfq200 wrote

I hate to be the one to tell you this...but the Magic Hat brewery closed about 2 years ago. There's still tons of other places to check out, though! Burlington Beer Co. opened a new spot just off Flynn Ave, and it's a great space! Switchback, Zero Gravity, and Citizen Cider are also great options within the Burlington area.

angkraft_71 OP t1_izflv4y wrote

I know we are going to the Barr Hill distillery and Lawson's. Will definitely check into Magic Hat. Thank you so much!

timberwolf0122 t1_izfnsvv wrote

If you head to jeffersonville we have smugglers notch distillery, a gluten free brewery and a wine tasting room (the brewery and wine room are open fri, sat and sun only)

Wesley__Willis t1_izfxz06 wrote

If you’re going to Lawsons you’re just 20 minutes to Waterbury (you likely will pass by on the way to/from Burlington anyway). Waterbury has a great brewery called Freak Folk but also two dynamite places to eat - Pro Pig and Blackback Pub. The latter is my preference, with real good food and one of the best tap lists in the state. Definitely a must stop.

tossawayintheend t1_izjsgcd wrote

Mad River Distillers has a spot in Burlington too. Real nice whiskey.

CorrectFall6257 t1_izhrkn6 wrote

Snowmobile Vermont has private tours out of Stowe. Check their website. Hopefully we will have snow by then but it's not looking good so far. I'm part of club up in the Northeast Kingdom and our trail system is set to open Dec 16th. Absolutely nothing but bare ground and large bodies of water still open. Hope you enjoy your visit.

OwlBeDamned t1_izf44uq wrote

If you're in Burlington, check out the Venetian Soda Lounge! They make both boozy and non-alcoholic floats and sodas, and the space has a very cool speakeasy vibe. Everything I've had there has been delicious!