Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

[deleted] t1_izsjcyj wrote

Green Mountain Railroad owns tracks between Bellows Falls and Rutland Vermont that passes through several town which would benefit greatly from passenger rail.

This would connect the Amtrak Vermonter with a significant portion of southern Vermont and serve several ski areas such as Okemo and Jackson Gore in Ludlow, and Pico And Killington in Rutland. I believe it would be a very popular ski train for all the folks who are served by the Amtrak Vermonter train, which goes all the way through NYC to Washington DC. There are a lot of people who live along that route who do not own a car who would love to be able to vacation in Vermont.

Also, public transportation in the towns along route 103, that this rail service would serve is abysmal. The bus companies who are supposed to be serving this region are doing a pretty terrible job at connecting these towns. It is not practical to travel along this route by bus, even though they claim to be serving this route. The buses are just for transporting ski area workers in the wee hours of the morning and a return trip in the early evening. The only bus route on Google maps from Bellows Falls to Rutland is a ten hour ride going the opposite direction.

This passenger rail route would also service Rutland Airport for all the folks who live along route 103, which would be wonderful. No more having to beg a ride from family and friends, or hire an expensive car to get to the airport. Even grocery shopping for all of these towns would become something folks could do without a car, which would be a really big deal for many. There are other benifits too, but I think I have gone on long enough here.