Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Jerry_Williams69 t1_j2c74c1 wrote

I love it here. You get all 4 seasons, although this winter is wimpy. You also get at least one bonus season: mud season. This is the one thing I don't like about Vermont. It is a period between the first thaw and late spring when everything is muddy. Can't hike, can't mountain bike, skiing is pretty much done, and the dirt roads are treacherous.

That being said, there are endless things to do here. Just about every outdoor activity you can think of (even surfing, sort of). Very few chain restaurants or stores, but most of the local options will will make it hard for you to go back to chains. Vermont is a great hub for adventures too. Adirondacks are about an hour west and the White Mountains are about an hour and a half East. From Burlington, you are about 90 minutes from Montreal, about 3 hours from Albany, and about 4 hours from Boston.

RockLobsterCakes OP t1_j2c95tl wrote

Thank you so much! Which areas are more known for the wilds/wildlife? Do you have favorite haunts? It’s something we love about Florida, but with anything green being turned into a high-end apartment building, that nobody can afford- we’re running out of it. Or it feels like that.

Jerry_Williams69 t1_j2cd3vd wrote

My favorite mountain to climb is Camel's Hump. It is awesome year around with a 360° clear view from the top. Most of the state is rural. Outdoorsy possibilities are endless.

RockLobsterCakes OP t1_j2cdf2k wrote

You are phenomenal. Thank you again!

microtoastt t1_j2da7x6 wrote

The southern part of the state is more rural, which means more wildlife but also fewer restaurants. Ignore the curmudgeons, it’s a unique and special state.