Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

LitherLily t1_j3x1zt1 wrote

The “kindness” illustrated in the post I was replying to is merely bad, dangerous driving. Following the rules of the road is safer than being “nice” about it.

TheTowerBard t1_j3x6op7 wrote

The rules of the road say you don't have to let someone merge into your lane, yet if someone puts on their blinker most of us do because we aren't assholes. It also helps keep traffic moving for all. Kindness very much has a place everywhere and if you think it doesn't I strongly recommend some self reflection.

And yes, my god, here in VT we can share a little kindness with our fellow road dogs. This sub constantly complains about the shitty attitudes and behaviors from out of staters yet here you numnuts are arguing in favor of being an asshole to people on our very calm, uncongested VT roads. Give a smile and a wave to the person who waved you through. Don't tailgate the slowpoke. Accept that the world doesn't revolve around you and your wants.

And yeah man, I'll also encourage the slow pokes to be kind. You see a line of cars behind you and there's a pull off up ahead. Go ahead and take a little pit stop and let the other folks go by. Is this another form of kindness that has no place in traffic?

−2

LitherLily t1_j3x7cno wrote

You are talking about something very different than what was described, though.

Waving someone through when it’s not their right of way is wrong, and is bad driving.

TheTowerBard t1_j3x8etr wrote

Oh no!! Someone did a kindness at an inappropriate time on our very quiet VT roads that never have actual traffic. Whatever will we do?! I mean, they waved you through and now it's going to take the person behind them ten more seconds to get to their destination. The horror!! To Reddit! We must get the word out! A rule has been broken with an attempt at kindness, nooooooooooooooooooo!!!

LitherLily t1_j3x8tei wrote

If there is an accident (which there are plenty of, even with very little traffic) the person who is going against the right of way is at fault.

TheTowerBard t1_j3xah32 wrote

Ok. I'm happy that has been established. Lovely. Yet over here in reality waving someone through out of turn at a four way is not an actual societal issue nor a cause of many accidents. It's just something that annoys you and OP because you have control issues and it bothers you when people don't do "what they are supposed to." That's the vibe you are all giving off, anyway.

The majority of accidents are caused by impatient careless schmucks that got needlessly overly annoyed by someone else on the road and and are now tantruming about it in some way. So maybe calm down and give a friendly wave to the "MASSIVE JERK" who didn't know the rules and move on with life. You might have an argument in highly populated areas, but that ain't VT my friend. You and the 3 other people at the four-way can figure it out even if there weren't any rules.

Everyone's all "In Vermont you do what you want" until someone's grandma waves them through a four-way out of turn. Sheesh.

LitherLily t1_j3xb23x wrote

Funny, my comment also acknowledged the speeding and rage issues that are displayed on the VT roads … and your responses(!)

TheTowerBard t1_j3xbrzh wrote

Ah yes, because encouraging kindness (even while being admittedly sarcastic) equates to raging. You ok?

Honestly though, the issue is the people that are mad about people being kind. On VT roads of all places. Double sheesh. Shit, that might even be a mega sheesh.

Edit: to remove "bro." I took a look at your username and realized I might be mis-gendering you. My apologies for that. Everything else stands though.

darkbeagle t1_j41k1ks wrote

Friend don't bother fighting this one. let the flatlanders squabble and crow about "Defensive" driving in Vermont. Most of them say that they follow the rules but I bet money that if they paid attention to what they re doing they pick and choose which rules they follow as much as any Vermonter, just not in the same way.