Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

StillWearsCrocs t1_j581rij wrote

Safe or not, I don't believe it's accessible to the public. Last I knew, the facility was gated and there is a person working there to keep out the hooligans. Safety-wise, I think you could walk around, but you wouldn't want to kick up dust, do donuts in your car, or be there on a windy day. A respirator or mask wouldn't hurt either way. Don't drink the water.

joeydokes t1_j582ilf wrote

Having lived in that neck of the woods for nearly 20yrs I'd say avoid the area near the mine. There are other areas around that mtn that are interesting, including lowland vast trails (off #109) that are more than less scenic.

PCPToad83 OP t1_j583x21 wrote

Is the mine safe for short vists (no more than an hour or two)?

−15

TheShandyMan t1_j586sp5 wrote

Asbestos is a fibrous mineral comprised of short barbed threads. When it is in a solid form it's highly heat resistant and fairly chemically inert. The problem is when it becomes aerosolized (eg dust kicked up by walking around) it sticks to your skin and clothing becoming an irritant (think like fiberglass itching). Worse still is when (not if) you breath it into your lungs, those barbs act like fish hooks trapping the fibers in your lungs basically forever. Over the years these fibers will cut and irritate your lungs causing scar tissue (Asbestosis) or cancer (mesothelioma) or both. In the case of mesothelioma, once it develops the survival rate is only 23% and is a horrible, painful death; typically in less than 2 years.

Under no circumstances should you go anywhere near a known source of loose asbestos like at a mine. That mine ran for 60+ years and will have dangerous amounts of dust virtually everywhere that someone would consider "interesting". Dust masks/N95 will not provide protection and even something fancier like a 3M P100 is not intended for that level of exposure (it's meant for limited exposure like what you might get renovating an old house that "might" have asbestos, not exploring a mine that does have asbestos). Workers who deal with asbestos (such as for asbestos abatement projects) will wear full body clean suits, including sealed gloves and boots as well as negative pressure air-purifying respirators.

[deleted] t1_j584kqo wrote

[removed]

TheShandyMan t1_j587jb2 wrote

> N95 if concerned though

N95's do absolutely nothing for asbestos. The mine and surrounding area is off limits for a reason and suggesting any part of it is "more or less safe" is stupid. Even if parts of it are "mostly" safe, the type of person who needs to ask, isn't qualified to make that decision.

joeydokes t1_j5agnc0 wrote

I'll gladly accept you answer as being the correct one. And yes, a respirator is the proper face-pro

PCPToad83 OP t1_j5862ci wrote

Is the remediation part the hill/mound of material dug out from the mine?

Also, as for the rest of the mine, would it be safe to walk around there so long as I watch where I’m breathing?

−7

AquaticArmistice t1_j586u7j wrote

i don’t think you can watch where you’re breathing but getting a respirator mask would help more

joeydokes t1_j5agrgy wrote

As another pointed out: The mine area is a place best left undisturbed.

pineappleguavalava t1_j58djqb wrote

There are a million "no trespassing" signs (I've driven by out of curiosity) and I am told the mine owner will prosecute trespassers.

sixteenandseven t1_j58urgp wrote

I've skied the tailings piles. They're very accessible. It's obvs not recommended because it's dangerous (avalanches!), illegal (no trespassing!), and unhealthy (mesothelioma!). But if you are a reckless person, it's pretty easy to figure out where to go and what to see.

NoLipsForAnybody t1_j5ci5b1 wrote

Exposure to asbestos can take decades to catch up with you — and you dont need much exposure for bad things to happen. There is good reason to EVER knowjngly expose yourself to asbestos.

Lady_oBags t1_j5b3gwg wrote

The asbestos dust is what’s dangerous, each particle is barbed so it becomes permanently embedded into the lung tissue.

Syncope7 t1_j5foyjd wrote

I think that If you are this concerned about asbestos and seem to know nothing about it's effects, presence, or protections against it, then you should probably not go.

Oh, and also the fact that the property is gated and posted is another sign.

PCPToad83 OP t1_j5ftmay wrote

🤓

Syncope7 t1_j5g1sew wrote

Lol at least I’m not a moron and know what asbestos is….

PCPToad83 OP t1_j5g4ght wrote

I know what asbestos is lol, I’m trying to figure out how to safely avoid it

Syncope7 t1_j5g6i4t wrote

Okay. To repeat, the best way to avoid asbestos is to not go there. Lmao

Several-Ad-4911 t1_j586pqa wrote

I’d recommend taking a side by side up if you’re going in. You can get to the top and see the view from there that way!

−7

PCPToad83 OP t1_j58cjio wrote

Have you been to the top?

Several-Ad-4911 t1_j58fhzf wrote

Yes. In the summer people regularly ride the trail and watch the sunset from the top. Definitely don’t think this is something that is “allowed” but it’s done

−1

PCPToad83 OP t1_j58l7ot wrote

Oh alright, the mound looks like the most dangerous place (lots of asbestos) but if people do it that much I guess it’s alright? Do you know what parts of the mine are most dangerous/off limits? How are the buildings?

−5

Several-Ad-4911 t1_j58mleb wrote

I think all of it is off limits and likely not the safest to be around. But imo if you go in once in your lifetime to check it out it’s probably not going to be what kills ya.

Buildings are super cool, lots of old equipment to look at too.

PCPToad83 OP t1_j588q60 wrote

What’s a side by side?

−1

natethegreek t1_j58c6bt wrote

ATV/4 wheeler

PCPToad83 OP t1_j58cj0h wrote

Ah, seems like it’s begging to kick up dust 🤔

Several-Ad-4911 t1_j58fdbx wrote

There’s trails surrounding it. You aren’t constantly driving through literal asbestos. Not that it’s any better though, I would it to be a risk worth taking

PCPToad83 OP t1_j58tcs5 wrote

How can you know where the asbestos are?