Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

PCPToad83 OP t1_j583x21 wrote

Is the mine safe for short vists (no more than an hour or two)?

−15

TheShandyMan t1_j586sp5 wrote

Asbestos is a fibrous mineral comprised of short barbed threads. When it is in a solid form it's highly heat resistant and fairly chemically inert. The problem is when it becomes aerosolized (eg dust kicked up by walking around) it sticks to your skin and clothing becoming an irritant (think like fiberglass itching). Worse still is when (not if) you breath it into your lungs, those barbs act like fish hooks trapping the fibers in your lungs basically forever. Over the years these fibers will cut and irritate your lungs causing scar tissue (Asbestosis) or cancer (mesothelioma) or both. In the case of mesothelioma, once it develops the survival rate is only 23% and is a horrible, painful death; typically in less than 2 years.

Under no circumstances should you go anywhere near a known source of loose asbestos like at a mine. That mine ran for 60+ years and will have dangerous amounts of dust virtually everywhere that someone would consider "interesting". Dust masks/N95 will not provide protection and even something fancier like a 3M P100 is not intended for that level of exposure (it's meant for limited exposure like what you might get renovating an old house that "might" have asbestos, not exploring a mine that does have asbestos). Workers who deal with asbestos (such as for asbestos abatement projects) will wear full body clean suits, including sealed gloves and boots as well as negative pressure air-purifying respirators.

[deleted] t1_j584kqo wrote

[removed]

TheShandyMan t1_j587jb2 wrote

> N95 if concerned though

N95's do absolutely nothing for asbestos. The mine and surrounding area is off limits for a reason and suggesting any part of it is "more or less safe" is stupid. Even if parts of it are "mostly" safe, the type of person who needs to ask, isn't qualified to make that decision.

joeydokes t1_j5agnc0 wrote

I'll gladly accept you answer as being the correct one. And yes, a respirator is the proper face-pro

PCPToad83 OP t1_j5862ci wrote

Is the remediation part the hill/mound of material dug out from the mine?

Also, as for the rest of the mine, would it be safe to walk around there so long as I watch where I’m breathing?

−7

AquaticArmistice t1_j586u7j wrote

i don’t think you can watch where you’re breathing but getting a respirator mask would help more

joeydokes t1_j5agrgy wrote

As another pointed out: The mine area is a place best left undisturbed.