Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Accomplished_Scar717 t1_j5rt9bm wrote

I am Black. Racism has been a serious problem in many areas of the state. Really a mess as to how students and sometimes adults have been treated. And what happened with Rep. Kiah Morris was unconscionable. Look, I love Vermont but I would be very concerned about my kids if I were you. Vermont Professionals of Color is a useful organization. Also feel free to PM me.

serenity450 t1_j5tf1is wrote

This. ⬆️ Seems to be worse for Black women. I’m white and grew up here. Never thought there was much racism until I lived in the Southeast (FL, GA, AL). The good news is that there are definitely more POC living here than there were when I left. Somebody advised that you avoid the NEK and I agree; it’s pretty much Maga land.

As far as schools go, get involved. Like others have pointed out, it’s mostly microaggressive, ignorant BS. But overt racism exists. And like everywhere else in the US, cops stop way more POC than they should. But they don’t kill them.

DifficultyNeither273 t1_j5tmvl1 wrote

Can you tell me what the NEK is? I keep seeing people mention it. Where does it include?

1010lala1010lala t1_j5tqxhr wrote

North East Kingdom

DifficultyNeither273 t1_j5tr3pr wrote

Ohhhh thank you. I just assume that’s the NorthEast part of the state then?

Hemmschwelle t1_j5uqy9v wrote

There's a really good novel set in NEK about a single black father that comes to town. It's set in the 20th century, but it sounds like things have not changed so much.

https://www.amazon.com/Stranger-Kingdom-Howard-Frank-Mosher/dp/0618240101

There is also a movie based on the novel, but the novel is much better. Howard Frank Mosher novels chronicle Vermont of yesteryear. I read all of them when I first arrived in Vermont as they resonate with the present.

8valvegrowl t1_j5ts0z5 wrote

The Northeast Kingdom...basically the upper northeast part of the state. I consider roughly everything north and east of Montpelier to be the NEK; Newport and St. Johnsbury are the two big towns of that region. Beautiful area, and lots of good people there, but also a lot of fairly poor, rural folk that are pretty insular. Very much like parts of Appalachia.