Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Honey-and-Wildfire t1_j5s2054 wrote

Vermont’s reputation as a liberal haven is a facade. I say this as a mixed woman of color who grew up here. Someone in this thread mentioned Kiah Morris’s experience, which you should look into as an example of life here. Personally, after reading coverage of how VT schools and the principals’ association mishandled racism and homophobia and transphobia occurring in schools, I had a moment when I told myself I would think realllyyyy hard about raising children in Vermont. You will need to be prepared to fight hard for your kids and expect your adult peers in your community to be overtly racist and to use schools and curricula to showcase their bigotry. I will say that it was exhausting to be a “token student” and I went to BHS, where there were more students of color than in other schools in the state. It was exhausting to exist in a school culture that isn’t trauma informed and to fight to be recognized as human. I made it, but I also realized that I made myself smaller so I’d be more appealing.

DifficultyNeither273 t1_j5s42zy wrote

Thank you for this insight. I appreciate your perspective and experience. Thank you for sharing it with me ❤️

Honey-and-Wildfire t1_j5s7tii wrote

I think despite everything, I turned out okay. Kids are resilient and Vermont has lots of other amazing things to offer. We endured a lot, but I feel like I’d mourn if I had to leave. My hope is that future generations will hold onto the community spirit and let go of the xenophobia.