Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

anothervtcouple t1_j5tm00c wrote

The mountain is open year round and is gaining popularity in the warm months for mountain biking, but is still nothing compared to winter months. A large portion of the restaurants close down come spring time. A word of caution about the up to an hour drive, that easily becomes 2-3 hours during winter driving conditions. Just something to consider. North of killington is probably where the more affordable housing is, but you’ll be an hour from grocery stores

DifficultyNeither273 t1_j5tm7qh wrote

Yes I can already tell driving in Vermont is going to be similar to Michigan…probably with less traffic. But unfortunately the only option is to drive in. I make decent money but not “I can live in Killington” money lol 😂

jimfoxer t1_j5ukpdx wrote

Driving in Vermont is VERY different than driving in Michigan. I went to college and lived a decade in West Michigan (Holland, Zeeland, Allendale, Wyoming, Grand Rapids) so I thought I knew snow dealing with lake effect and squalls every winter. Vermont is VERY different. For one, we have a lot more ice and mud. It's also a lot more variable, going from rain to sleet to snow to hail - all in the same drive. I was able to drive carefully and survive with my front-wheel drive with all-season tires in Michigan. Here I have AWD and use snow tires with studs every winter just to make sure the car stays on the road. Also, 50% of roads in Vermont are dirt and in the spring, mud season is quite a challenge that I never experienced in MI . Take my word for it, you don't want to live far from work if you can avoid it. The closer the better - just for your own sanity and to free yourself from worry.

DifficultyNeither273 t1_j5upq5t wrote

Thanks! That’s great advice and we totally don’t want to commute far but killington is way too expensive for sure to live directly in but we are looking into surrounding areas that aren’t horribly far. I read the winters were icy and I know mud season is gonna be a new adventure. I’m used to ice but the plows here are abundant so it’s not usually a problem. Thanks for the insight! This helps a ton

MizLucinda t1_j5ul9bz wrote

Oof. I’m originally from Michigan and moved to vt about 21 years ago. The winters are not the same. It’s icier here and much colder and you definitely need snow tires. Driving here is different than there. Just a warning, because I also didn’t think it would be all that different.

DifficultyNeither273 t1_j5upf5m wrote

Thanks! I know we need snow tires and I definitely did a lot of research on the differences. We have super icy roads where I am but at least there’s less traffic lol we plan to utilize snow tires for sure though