Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

bobsizzle t1_j5uvbsf wrote

You might get more issues from people mad about remote workers moving here and Driving up costs than actual issues with overt racism. Vermont isn't cheap. Cost of living is on the higher side. It's more isolated than Michigan. It's Cold, but you're probably used to that. I think overall you'll be welcome in Vermont, but sometimes all it takes is a few people to make you want to leave. I'm sorry if I missed it, but what made you decide on Vermont? There are both positives and negatives. For most, being cold , sometimes for more than half the year, is enough to make people regret it. Vermont can be a little boring. But that's what I like about it. It's one of the safest states though and one of the better States to raise a family.

Also, if you do move here, try not to attempt to change it. People hate that. People move here and think they know better . Vermont is unique and most want it to stay that way. I agree with that. Otherwise, why move here? I think you'll do well and be welcomed. I'd recommend learning about Vermont's uniqueness and trying to adapt to it. It's a beautiful state. If you do come across racism, try not to let it get to you. It's not representative of Vermont. It exists everywhere, from every culture. I've lived all over and seen it in every form. Even in Michigan. I'm living near Rutland now. It has a reputation, but compared to other places, it's nothing. Killington is Nice. A bit overpriced. Rutland would probably be your best option. It's close to Killington and has amenities. There are other small towns around it. You could look out at Castleton too. I can't accurately comment on the schools. But as far as I know, they're not terrible.

DifficultyNeither273 t1_j5uwc90 wrote

My husband has a friend who is opening a restaurant in killington and offered him a position. It’s a very big increase from Michigan. It’s just less of a risk because I work remote and already have employment. But not interested in changing anything. Just hoping to be welcome and that’s about it tbh.

I’m just supporting my husband because he’s very adamant about this job and this move. So I’m trying to make sure we don’t move to anywhere that’s going to be absolutely unwelcoming and from what I’ve gather that seems to be the NEK

bobsizzle t1_j5v0vrg wrote

I hope it works out for you. It's awesome you're supporting your husband that way. I don't think you'll have any issue as far as many people being absolutely unwelcoming. I certainly Hope not. Vermont seems generally friendly, assuming you're not trying to change the state too much. I hear that about the NEK, but I imagine, even at it's worse, it's not a bunch of people riding around on horseback wearing white robes. I think it's more people who make their opinions known. If that makes sense. Maybe a few who might make a derogatory remark. But from my experience, Vermont unintentionally exaggerates any negatives. Something really bad for Vermont is relatively minor compared to somewhere else. A bad crime year in Vermont is a weekend on just the south side of Chicago. That type of thing. That may be an over simplification, but you get the idea. The racism I've seen in Vermont is far less than the racism I'd see as a white kid playing street ball on a court in southern California in the 1990s. I used to get called Casper a lot. Or Opie Taylor. Or Woody. Lots of white men can't jump references.It's easy enough to shrug off. You can't fix stupid. It was always easier to confront racism with kindness. It's usually not something they expect and you might feel better about yourself. But I honestly don't think you need to worry much here. Be kind, be considerate of vermonts culture and be yourself. Don't let a few issues scare you off. It's a great place to raise kids.

DifficultyNeither273 t1_j5v7gyt wrote

Thank you for this. It really helps. I ask all these questions because it’s a huge move and already terrifying. Thank you for your perspective and advice. :)