Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Akasadanahamayarawa t1_j69ghn5 wrote

There is something magical about when a border collie looks at you. Most pet owners will feel a connection with their pets and feel like they understand.

You’ll get that feeling with a border collie as well, but moments later they’ll actually make something happen in reality related to what you’re talking about.

Story time: I had a childhood dog, a once in a lifetime working line border collie. I taught him to open the back garden door for me and grab drinks from the fridge. But never as two separate actions. One day I was talking with a friend about how a cold beer would be nice out in the front lawn when suddenly the pup turns around looks me in the eye then runs off. A few moments later he comes back all proud with a beer in his mouth. We thought he found one outside but the drink was ice cold.

Get this, he ran to the backyard, opened the backyard door and then opened the back sliding door (which I didn’t teach him how), then the fridge, grabbed a beer and then back to us. He even closed all the doors like I taught him (except the sliding door which was left completely open).

Broke my heart when he went deaf. But that didn’t bother him, he picked up hand signs and could tell what I wanted him to do just by the way I nodded. That boy ran with me till he was 18. A good dog.

Anyways thanks for reading, I rambled and was sentimental because I’m driving out 400 miles tomorrow to pick up my first dog since he passed. A year old border collie pup that I will love and cherish hopefully for our next 2 decade adventure.