Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Ahueh t1_j9wgrb5 wrote

Hilariously lol. You can say the same thing about any bubble, until you can't. Bitcoin Maxi's have yet to name something useful it does. Even overhyped trash businesses that promised the moon had a reasonable lie they could sell to the average slob. BTC doesn't even have a product they can lie about.

BrotherAmazing t1_j9wmopp wrote

I already named useful things Bitcoin does and you completely ignored them:

1. Bitcoin provides final irreversible settlement faster than ACH or Visa. This is important for me if I want to be 100% sure I have a final payment that can’t be clawed back before I send you something of value or perform a service for you of value. This can occur on a holiday or weekend or after hours when banks are closed.

2. I can send you a payment and it cannot be censored, sanctioned, or declined.

3. For a speculative investment, the native token of the Bitcoin payment network, BTC, is not a security by definition (even the SEC agrees) and that risk associated with being a security is eliminated. It also has a cap of 21M total BTC. Speculative? Yes! Don’t invest what you can’t afford to lose. Stupid? No! Not for 0.5% - 1% of your portfolio. The risk-reward given Bitcoin’s internal monetary policy and history of a bull market after each halving justifies speculation far more than on, say, 90% of the nonsense that gets thrown around here. It has the largest market cap for a reason.

There are more advantages than those I list, but those are very obvious advantages of Bitcoin.

Furthermore, Bitcoin was invented to solve a problem that was technical in nature, not the problem of “I want to get rich off a vaporware shitcoin” like almost all other chains besides Monero and Ethereum.

But the whole point here isn’t why Bitcoin will survive, the whole point is > 99% of crypto is garbage shit and Coinbase may not be a great investment longterm.

crash_bandicoot42 t1_j9wzfkd wrote

ETH does this but it's significantly faster. BTC only had first mover advantage the past decade but I don't see a world in which even if crypto becomes mainstream that BTC is the leader because it lags significantly behind Monero, ETH and a few other coins in usability.

BrotherAmazing t1_j9x1vlw wrote

Ethereum does, and should also be differentiated from “crypto” in general, but unlike Bitcoin it is a security and also has started seriously considering implementing mechanisms to censor transactions.

You also seem to ignore or perhaps are unaware of the Lightning Network.

But I agree Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Monero are a few non-scam non-shit blockchains, but almost everything else is complete rubbish, hence the main point that $COIN is at risk when they’re shilling shitcoin scams up the ying-yang and Papa Gensler comes guns a-blazing one of these days.