Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Trotter823 t1_j9wqcyj wrote

What do any of those use cases do for the average person that is inherently more beneficial than using visa? Just because it’s peer to peer doesn’t make it inherently better or worse. And the transaction fees, time, and inherent complexity of using Bitcoin is going to keep a lot of people out. That says nothing to its volatility which again, proves its not all that good at storing value.

Now if you need to pay for things off grid then it’s fantastic and there’s nothing like it but the number of people who need that isn’t exactly high.

BrotherAmazing t1_j9wxw7f wrote

I wasn’t saying everyone should use Bitcoin or that it should or will be adopted by the masses, replace fiat, etc etc. No, I don’t agree with that. I only was remarking that it is one of the few that should be distinguished from the rest of crypto as clearly not being a security (how many cryptos has Gensler publicly admitted again and again that they are not securities?) and it does solve use-case problems and provide value to some people in certain situations, often outside the developed world. I didn’t say anything about the size of the market for those who value using the Bitcoin payment network.

If someone wanted me to give them my jewelry in exchange for a check on a Sunday and I didn’t know them, I would do it. If they offered an ACH or Visa and it was “Pending” I wouldn’t give them the jewelry until it settled if I didn’t know them. That would take some time. If they paid me in BTC and it settled, I’d give them the jewelry.