Submitted by illjustcheckthis t3_zx5p8a in wallstreetbets

Suddenly, Twitter sent me notifications on $TSLA topic, although I don't have any marked interest for it and, gasp, all the tweets were pumping Tesla. How it's "such a good investment" and how it's gonna "print".

It could be a coincidence, but considering the recent meltdown and Elon's previous antics, I wouldn't put it beside him to tweak the algorithm juuuuuust the right way to pump the stock.

Wondering on the legality of this myself.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

VisualMod t1_j1yiw7h wrote

>It's not illegal, but it is unethical. If Tesla is manipulating the Twitter algorithm to pump its stock, then that's something investors should be aware of before buying into the company.

zippo-shortyburner t1_j1yj69q wrote

Not sure if the stock noticed it is being pumped. šŸ˜…

keithblsd t1_j1yxcd7 wrote

Less a pump, more a bedsheet acting as a parachute

Mango-Bob t1_j22mw9v wrote

Many ankles succumb to this and a garden shed. Same soft landing-makes sense.

fureddit2345 t1_j1yzett wrote

Reminds me of the mouse and elephant jokeā€¦take it all, baby, yells the mouse

Invest0rnoob1 t1_j2234hw wrote

Looks like heā€™s dumping it with his twitter posts.

zippo-shortyburner t1_j228jt2 wrote

Its all about balance. Elon push it with Twitter algp and destroy it with conspiracy talk. The perfect balance šŸ˜‚

illjustcheckthis OP t1_j1yj6ud wrote

Holy hell, this bot is scary good.

WorkingCorrect1062 t1_j1ylm45 wrote

Next this bot will come up with some new philosophy of ethics

ChuckLeClerk t1_j1yp78q wrote

And will decide, correctly, that humans are the problem.

That's why I'm always nice to Alexa

frisbeedog13 t1_j1z5zoh wrote

I always say please and thank you to Alexa. Same strategy one might use to avoid being a victim in a school shooting, maybe if Iā€™m nice they will glance over me without pulling the trigger

testlipidesmu92 t1_j1zllfe wrote

More than likely, they'll first start looking for the most compliant humans to enslave. You're definitely going to be on that list.

Nervous-Structure725 t1_j237dh5 wrote

But use an AI based loan program and maybe theyā€™ll remember you for helping fund the roborebelliom

hookisacrankycrook t1_j201mln wrote

Everyone talking about chatgpt when VisualMod has been killing it for a long time

BeardofZeus27 t1_j207gsn wrote

was it unethical of twitter to censor republicans and sway voters? asking for ethics.

−12

rylar t1_j20dde5 wrote

that happened AFTER the election you dolt. also, this isnt a political forum.

BeardofZeus27 t1_j20dr6b wrote

Itā€™s been happening for years now. Point is, how can anyone talk about Twitter ethics of trying to talk up your company vs all the shit twitters pulled over the years?

−3

BuyHighSellL0wer t1_j1yj1jf wrote

Of course he is.

I signed up to Twitter for the first time ever with a throw away account... As part of the onboarding it provides suggested accounts to follow.

No surprise the two suggested were Elon and Tesla lol

Enthuasticnaw t1_j1zi306 wrote

To be fair, I think it did the same for me like 2 years ago.

PatrickSebast t1_j21l1g6 wrote

Elon is probably one of the most viewed users on Twitter right now so I don't know that he needs an algo boost to make this happen

Puzzled_Bath_984 t1_j1yo9xj wrote

Always has been meme?

illjustcheckthis OP t1_j1yoewg wrote

I think this is something else. I think this is a more concentrated push. This notification was really obvious. And I take this as a sign that Elon is in a corner.

Puzzled_Bath_984 t1_j1yoz7f wrote

I was just kind of joking. But Musk has always promoted Tesla on Twitter. Now, he clearly wields more power to do so. It should not be a surprise.

MemesGamingInc t1_j1yjcm4 wrote

Wow who'd knew this would happen. img It wasn't totally obvious from the start, at all.

pugtime t1_j1zl73v wrote

My original thought way back when as well . I felt it would only be a matter of time before he would try to influence his own interests and thoughts . Iā€™m not on twitter and never will be, so I canā€™t judge what he does there but Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll see lots of inferences else where about his goings on. I find it hard to comprehend how Musk couldnā€™t see the folly in his twitter purchase. Honestly; I donā€™t think he is really all that smart. He has all the resources of the world at his disposal and look at the decisions heā€™s made. My oh my oh my !

PeterZeeke t1_j1yjd2u wrote

Heā€™d be an idiot not toā€¦ so probably not

DenuvoSuks t1_j1yxakb wrote

to hype himself more accurately

That-Whereas3367 t1_j1z5k1r wrote

A genius playing 4D chess or a raving lunatic? I choose the latter.

yalogin t1_j1zd3m7 wrote

Musk himself tweeted that he will make Twitter make money for Tesla bag holders. This is what he means by that :)

mightyboink t1_j1zi4tg wrote

Part of me thinks he is acting like an extreme right wing nut job to get Trumpers to start buying Tesla's.

hookisacrankycrook t1_j201uet wrote

I think he's always been an extreme right wing nut job and was better at hiding it for years. His company has thrived on liberals push to EVs via tax credits. He didn't want to bite the hand that made him the richest man in the world.

RationalOpinions t1_j1ztmp6 wrote

Is Elon using Tesla to hype Twitter? Try the latest ā€œblue checkmarkā€ Fart option in your Teslaā€¦

Beachtrader007 t1_j1zzzot wrote

I just posted this! its just the twitter sound with a small fart at end. Its the worst fart in the collection!

Most_Exit_5454 t1_j1zd70t wrote

Wasn't he doing just that since ages?

Rim_World t1_j1zd7j2 wrote

Yes, tesla has been pushed to everyone

sensereviews t1_j1z115a wrote

jebus if he is that's a new low (but not really) and may be illegal as should be seen as market manipulation - can't use AI to pump

pepesilviafromphilly t1_j1zgh9a wrote

Twitter has been the marketing platform for all Musk enterprises from the beginning. He spends zero on marketing.

NoAd3535 t1_j1zh3w2 wrote

Elon is a moron

Liquid_Skeet t1_j1ztqky wrote

Elon is using TWTR to trash TSLA... Look what happened.... Fuck!!!!

Beautiful_Feed2814 t1_j1zzaam wrote

Why won't he? He's gonna use all his might to pump Tesla. I see so many Twitter posts on Tesla in Ads.

Beachtrader007 t1_j1zzosu wrote

Elon added a new fart sound too. Its the twitter sound and then a small fart... He is definately crossing his twitter evil back into tesla land. Get outta my car!!!

BenSemisch t1_j20fvcd wrote

He can't be that stupid can he?

Why the fuck wouldn't he pump some other shitty meme stock, load up on it himself and then rug pull everyone, cash out and buy out the Tesla stock himself?

Pumping Tesla has to be the most obvious thing the SEC can hammer him on and he's already on their shitlist.

FinalDevice t1_j20l6pc wrote

On the one hand, I'm sure he is. On the other hand, Twitter is full of a special kind of stupid. One of my joke accounts makes fun of Tesla, and every time I search for posts about them I find an army of rabid fanboys and fangirls who tweet about Tesla non stop. They viciously attack anyone who criticizes Tesla or Musk, and they take their devotion to weird obsessive levels. This is why I have the joke accounts - whether you like Tesla or not, these devotees are /really/ fun to troll.

Tesla trends on Twitter a lot. It did so before the buyout. Every time Tesla is in the news, it becomes a trending topic on Twitter. That doesn't mean Elon is doing anything shady.

But also yeah, he's probably being shady.

renok_archnmy t1_j20s7es wrote

Elon has no qualms about doing illegal trading stuff.

He can be quoted as saying, ā€œI have no respect for the SEC.ā€

Do you think any branch of the US government has the competency to audit Twitter in such a way to uncover ā€œalgorithm tweaksā€ that promote his companies? My experience with auditors is that they barely know what cloud is let alone have to templates audit processes in place to investigate and know the exact changes that may have taken place to do such a thing.

Auditor: ā€œI need to see your change logā€¦ā€

Engineering manager: (prints commit history from GitHub to paper with diffs) ā€œI started the process of extracting, it will cost $1,000,000 in paper and ink and take 17 months to complete. Alternatively I can requisition temporary credentials to GitHub from infosec by Friday. Then you can login and review these digitally.ā€

Auditor: ā€œWhatā€™s GitHub? Whatā€™s a commit? How do I see the changes? Whatā€™s a diff? Who approved these? Why did they approve these? Eh, let me just choose 5 of these weird post things on this hubgitbucket thing at random and fill out this paper work so I can get out of this isolated freezing cold office and eat my shitty government salary bologna sandwich.ā€

Royal_Bison5625 t1_j211rnc wrote

of course he is. hes hyping all his bullshit. heā€™s a hype man. nothing more.

Arlo1515 t1_j21fnw2 wrote

Everything he has done is to hype Tesla

Mars colony (completely pointless just terraform the dessert, but it doesnā€™t sound as good), hyperloop (very inefficient), earth to earth (someone did the math and it would take a similar amount of time as supersonic flight and exposed passengers to 3Gs for long periods of times which would kill civilians), boring company (just use a metro, much more efficient and cheaper)

Guy on YouTube called ā€œAdam somethingā€ goes other these in more detail

PeeLoosy t1_j21hoqo wrote

TSLA spends $0 on advertisements they said.

Nip_Sock t1_j22ar3x wrote

yep he is desperate,

it spooked him when his friend told him the company he worked for lost 98% of it's share price during 2008, he mentioned it on All in Podcast,

he also said don't use margin, the exact thing he did to buy Twitter, i think he never wanted to own Twitter, it was a quick pump & dump like Doge,

we might get a once in a lifetime chance to buy Tesla shares at pre covid levels,

it is unlikely Elon will ever buy his own stock,he gets to many shares for free as compensation,

2023 will be a bad year for vehicle sales and margin,

unless Tesla take the loan debt themselves,

they have the cash, a BNPL business model.

Autumnalskye t1_j22x6nf wrote

Obviously not hve you seen tesla stock

ElectronicImage9 t1_j25h6m2 wrote

Private company. Can do whatever he wants. No cry bb

pissfucklolpoop t1_j26ittp wrote

Yea twitter should go back to ā€œmen can be pregnant, white people suck, 10 reasons why woman run the worldā€ push notifications

0711-ST t1_j1zd3mn wrote

I think auch a Manipulation could be illegal. And I doubt Elon would risk that. I guess they are using your cookies to present you the stuff you want! šŸ˜Ž

−1

That-Whereas3367 t1_j1zimug wrote

He's been manipulating TSLA for years. Never more than a slap on the wrist.

Poozle01 t1_j1zyxow wrote

I think heā€™d prefer it crash so he can rebuy lower. Heā€™s got so much money it doesnā€™t matter if he loses 90% of it. Gl winning regard

−3

Secret_Rock_1398 t1_j1ywjzy wrote

I think it's might be because it is a hot stock with huge losses that many people are in! If elon is pushing it who cares it's his platform! I hope he pushes Doge & Shib more!

−6