Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

HornetBoth3214 t1_j9946df wrote

I worked for a bit at the Smithsonian. I found that the experience varied widely depending on where you worked. Ultimately being part of SI lends itself to a myriad of opportunities, including grant funding, support units for your work in areas like accessibility, and the opportunity to get promotions/new jobs in different/new to you museums without resetting your leave, time in agency or the other HR-related headaches that often come with changing jobs.

But yes like any other large institution, some units are toxic and some are not. It all depends on where you end up and what the mindset is.

selfcarebouquet t1_j9g57cp wrote

Getting into the Smithsonian is tough, at least for arts and humanities. I worked there briefly in a trust position that was funded by a grant and still didn’t couldn’t make the interview stage for permanent federal jobs that were basically the same job that I had done successfully as trust employee for a couple of years. I met people who finally got positions after working for years as contractors without benefits. It’s still worth applying to everything but it’s easy to get discouraged and they’ll be competing with people with a lot more experience who are willing to take an entry level job even mid-career to get in the door.