Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

RandomLogicThough t1_jacnohj wrote

Reply to comment by LakeLifeTL in Scam? by No-Philosophy-6530

This is bs there really are good deals out there...but you have to go see the place in person ffs.

Page-This t1_jacpfva wrote

Even then, I’ve heard of scammers picking up the key for a self-tour, posing as the landlord, and turning around to accept applications. Hard to suss that out, even in person!

RandomLogicThough t1_jacsdi3 wrote

That seems like a much lower percentage. Scams are numbers and doing it all online is way easier, not to mention the very low numbers of places one could even accomplish that, but yea, people gonna peep.

Page-This t1_jact0c7 wrote

True. Just pointing out that one needs to keep the shit-sniffer running 24/7, no matter how safe the circumstances seem. It is not uncommon for even the largest, most established property managers to accept multiple non-refundable app fees even though they really only consider one app!

RandomLogicThough t1_jactf5n wrote

Yea, application fees should really only cover a background check (which is pretty cheap).

No-Philosophy-6530 OP t1_jacpamq wrote

yes! thats what I told this person that I’ll wait to make a decision once I look at it.

LakeLifeTL t1_jaco063 wrote

The safest best for someone that has to ask such a question on Reddit is a realtor. Plain and simple.

−3