Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

rlezar t1_ja4z29m wrote

Not sure what you mean by touring "in peace," but DC gets hordes of tourists all summer long, regardless of any specific events.

boredtxan OP t1_ja5yqmb wrote

I don't don't mind other tourists - I'm looking to avoid the kind of rallies that lead to clashes with police

herpetl t1_ja4q62e wrote

You won’t find much peace in June, it’s peak season for field trips from the schools around the country. Hint, they take red eye flights because they are the cheapest and are so excited, nobody gets any shuteye on the way in.

Frequent_Ad_2924 t1_ja4x8fi wrote

NPS issues the permits for gatherings - public knowledge

Macrophage87 t1_ja57vt2 wrote

But that's only on NPS land. Elsewhere, DC is very protest friendly. You can generally just start up an impromptu protest. Outside of specifically targeting people's houses, there's no need to contact the police. MPD will even direct traffic for your protest if they see one.

10tonheadofwetsand t1_ja53xox wrote

All but the absolute biggest and most historic marches really don’t take that much space compared to the size of the National Mall. Come whenever and enjoy!

Space_Cat_95 t1_ja4nesy wrote

I don’t know about this far in advance, but I hear about much of those things on DCist, which is a local news blog. It’s also a good way to find out about cool stuff going on in the district while you’re visiting. Hope you have a nice visit.

−1