Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

solidrecommendations t1_j9lr15y wrote

There are far more career federal employees than political appointees. So I don’t buy the idea there is a huge amount of noticeable turnover with administrations. A lot of young people come to work in DC as interns, for entry level jobs, etc., before moving on to other things. So there is a lot of churn in the 20s age group. There is less churn in the over 30s crowd but some people do move to the burbs when they have kids.

That said, I know lots of folks who’ve been here for a long time and have no plans to leave. So I think this is sort of a trope, though I would concede DC has more churn than a place like Charlotte, for example.

NorseTikiBar t1_j9lxq24 wrote

The political appointees often don't leave anymore, either. Over the last 30 years or so, they just rotate out to a think-tank/lobbying position until the political party they align with comes back into power.

BitterGravity t1_j9mcie0 wrote

> So I don’t buy the idea there is a huge amount of noticeable turnover with administrations

But it seems like that for journalists for obvious reasons hence the articles

solidrecommendations t1_j9mcpd9 wrote

What? I’m not saying there is no turnover in administrations, only that it’s not noticeable as a segment of DC’s population writ large. What’s your point?

BitterGravity t1_j9md3ks wrote

Oh I agree with you, but there's a number of articles which discuss it. I was suggesting a reason why thats the case people do perceive it.