Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Existing365Chocolate t1_ja5hfo9 wrote

If they have a service fee then you don’t tip

jeffreyhunt90 t1_ja5i4d9 wrote

At this particular restaurant (sticky fingers) the service charge is not given to the staff at all.

spince t1_ja5vuio wrote

If the staff aren't seeing their wage or benefits increasing following the administration of the service charge the staff should find an employer that is more fair to them.

It truly is not your responsibility as a customer to solve.

Trying to solve an employer/employee problem by putting it on the customer through tip inflation is going to result in more customers staying home in the long run and that's bad for restaurant owners and servers alike.

wandering_engineer t1_ja7btpq wrote

>Trying to solve an employer/employee problem by putting it on the customer through tip inflation is going to result in more customers staying home in the long run and that's bad for restaurant owners and servers alike.

Absolutely. I have always hated tip culture with a passion (it's so stupid, just charge what I'm supposed to pay), all this service fee BS makes it even worse. Really just turned me off to going out to eat or drink at all post-COVID, I rarely do anymore except for the occasional take-out. I have sympathy for restaurant workers but I also have no doubt many others feel the same way and are just fed up with dealing with it.

invalidmail2000 t1_ja5rrew wrote

It sucks for the workers sure, but you're just rewarding this restaurant by also tipping. If nobody did or stopped patronizing them they would either fix what they were doing or have a hard time finding staff