Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

BigLeagueBanker69 t1_jeb3zlj wrote

I find best practice is to completely ignore these types.

If you make eye contact or respond at all, they peg you as someone they can get a response from. More often that not, in the absence of eye contact & acknowledgement, they'll keep searching for another victim.

I've had many situations in which someone begins to start in with me or is sizing me up, I keep looking angrily ahead like the last type of asshole that's going to spare some change, they move on and then start heckling or chasing after someone who gives them a response or runs away.

Tl;DR: Avoid any type of tacit engagement with these people at all costs

elaxation t1_jebgsgt wrote

Ignoring is the only way. Then, and only then, if somebody still acts crazy to you, act crazy back. Folks giving unstable people the time of day blows my mind. You almost never hear native Washingtonians complain about this because we know not to engage and have perfected the resting bitch face.

The very few times someone has followed me or continuously harassed me, I’ve made so big and stupid of a scene that it scared them off. I’m a short, curvy, feminine woman and while I do get catcalled, I almost never get harassed the way people on this thread are describing.

ComeOnWorldYouCantGo t1_jeb9w6i wrote

This needs to be pinned.

I put my headphones in, and look straight, like a pissed off DCer. Don’t acknowledge, don’t respond. Look like you belong. All these folks commenting here that they are explaining why they can’t give money to the fella is the problem.

DONT ENGAGE