Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

HereComesHR OP t1_jcngkqr wrote

Reply to comment by sellers1020 in Recent DC Trip by HereComesHR

Thanks! You’d sure think someone could make a killing putting a Tex-Mex restaurant up there.

Did you find the cost of living increase to be difficult when you moved up there? Seems like Dallas-to-DC would be some sticker shock.

WontStopAtSigns t1_jcnravw wrote

If you come in the summer we have water parks and stuff kiddos will love. Right off metro too. I've been here 6+ years and it still feels like an amusement park compared to fucking Miami where you spend 30-40 hours a month in the car like it's nothing.

Tbh I sold my truck and just bike everywhere now. It never even snowed this winter here. Although may have been a flurry or two we tend to worry about accumulation and there was 0. Bonus points for pretending you're captain America going by the monuments.

HereComesHR OP t1_jcnrr1w wrote

Nice! If I lived there and was anywhere near a metro I would sell my vehicle too.

The snow happened as we were driving through Virginia. Wasn’t in the forecast, came out of no where. Absolutely beautiful. And the state itself was great, we’d never been to Virginia.

RedfishSC2 t1_jcnnrp7 wrote

From a Houstonian who has been living in the area for almost 10 years now, it boggles my mind. Republic Cantina is pretty good, but the whole metro area overall is flooded with tasteless, disappointing, garbage Tex-Mex. Every time I go back and visit my parents and have Ninfa's, I cry a little bit knowing what I'm missing.

That said, there is great Korean, Vietnamese, Thai, Ethiopian, and Salvadoran, so there's a lot out there.

[deleted] t1_jcpnlym wrote

I hate to say it but I went to Guapo's a couple nights ago and it was pretty friggin' decent. Branzino fajita platter was way better than expected.

janmint t1_jcnpocy wrote

I always thought Cactus Cantina was Tex Mex too? But I've never actually been to Texas so I'm sure my opinion is really off, how does it compare?

QueMasPuesss t1_jco1g03 wrote

Cactus Cantina is pretty mediocre. It was dubya’s favorite place but he’s from Connecticut. Ironically their lomo saltado is one of the best things on the menu.

QueMasPuesss t1_jco1puv wrote

Dallas has great Korean, Ethiopian and Vietnamese food and decent Thai and Salvadorian. Houston has the best Vietnamese and Chinese food outside the west coast imo (though queens gives houston a run for its money with Chinese food.)

Edit: though I think DC has better French and Italian than major Texas metros, plus a greater variety of more obscure cuisines (by American diasporan standards) due to the breadth of diversity, ie Balkan, Uyghur, Bangladeshi, Peruvian, Georgian, Filipino, Portuguese, Russian etc etc.

Sekh765 t1_jcnq81q wrote

Houstonian now DC/Northern Virginia here. I've searched far and wide around here for decent Tex-Mex and I've found exactly 1 place lol. It's my biggest regret.

[deleted] t1_jcpns4e wrote

What place?!?

Sekh765 t1_jcrhubs wrote

Casa Tequila in Lorton has had the best Tex-Mexy style Mexican I've found.

[deleted] t1_jcricoo wrote

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Sekh765 t1_jcsloya wrote

Hope you like it. It wasn't like, mind blowing, but considering the normal tex-mex fare around here, it was more than acceptable for me.

[deleted] t1_jctnlg6 wrote

I mean, the best we have around here is El Sol or Guapo's so i'm always looking for an update. I'll take your word for it seeing as you're from Texas...I'll trust that palate!

Thanks again for the rec and have a great weekend!

sazzer82 t1_jcr6lr1 wrote

Where?

Sekh765 t1_jcrhttx wrote

Casa Tequila in Lorton has had the best Tex-Mexy style Mexican I've found.

WontStopAtSigns t1_jcnqzhr wrote

I've been making Mexican from yt recipes and it's 1000x better than restaurants.

We got a decent tacombi and Los tios off the blue line

sellers1020 t1_jcoyl3t wrote

I found it more expensive, but was living in Uptown (Dallas) before moving to DC, so not too crazy different. However, in Dallas I lived in a brand new apartment with one roommate and in DC I lived in a 1900’s row home with 3 other roommates. Still loved the experience of living in an old row home full of history and stories. I did grow up in Plano TX where you can get a veryyyyy nice home for what a one bedroom condo would cost in DC. 🥲 that one is hard to get over but I’m willing to make it work because I love the area so much!

dontforgetpants t1_jcqb4j6 wrote

There’s a Chuy’s pretty nearby in Virginia and I think it does pretty well. It’s not even the best tex mex but I’m from Texas and it tastes like home haha.