Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

kindergartenchampion t1_jef9lfk wrote

I’m a top 1% capital bikeshare user and carless. That and metro make cars unnecessary for my life and I couldn’t be happier about it

Pangolin_4 t1_jeg2csd wrote

Where do you see that you're in the top 1% of bikeshare users?

kindergartenchampion t1_jegfte9 wrote

In the app go to the sidebar then "view profile." In the account settings section it should say the number of stations visited and which % of riders you're in. I'm not sure how they calculate it but it seems like it's by total stations visited rather than total distance or amount of rides, so it could be more accurate

pizzajona t1_jefriy2 wrote

Why capital bike share vs getting your own bike at that point?

kindergartenchampion t1_jefv0hf wrote

I'm absolutely paranoid about my bike/wheels getting stolen. The convenience of being able to dock and forget about bikes is worth the extra few minutes of walking to/from stations and the annual fee. I also bike recreationally and use my (fairly nice) bike for that

BirdLawyerPerson t1_jeg0vpm wrote

I have a bicycle and still use the bikeshare like 25% of the time. I've had a bike stolen, and I sometimes want to go one way (with metro or Uber/Lyft covering the return route).

9throwaway2 t1_jeg1os0 wrote

as both a person with a commuter bike and bikeshare, different uses.

My commuter is good for when I have a safe place to store it (my office). But if I'm going out on the weekend or evenings, I will almost always use a bikeshare. No worries about theft, plus if it gets late and I need to call a taxi home, I don't have to come back for the bike. Drivers also give bikeshare users more room!

The thing about bikes is that they are so cheap compared to cars. You usually can easily afford a bike and bike rental!