Submitted by krasnayazima t3_ye212y in washingtondc

Hey everyone,

I’m interested in going to a Halloween event at Echostage on Friday, but am wondering how I’ll get home. I don’t drive. I live in the Rockville area so it’s about a 35 minute drive. I know that getting an Uber after shows there is a crazy mess. Would anyone have recommendations for a female alone trying to get a ride late at night from there? The metro won’t be operating because the event will probably finish around 3 am.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

celj1234 t1_itvgpn1 wrote

Schedule a car service or get a hotel in the city and metro home the next morning.

WaterBubbly t1_itvpo2x wrote

I'll be happy to pick you up and drive you home for $75. I live very close to echostage.

−1

sazzer82 t1_itvuozf wrote

Just wait for a car, order it early. Do not walk around that area at night.

badimojo t1_itvwly3 wrote

Getting home is easier if you:

a) leave at or before any encore (beat the rush out), and b) walk down to New York Ave and meet an Uber or taxi in/around the McD's parking lot. This avoids all the mess right around the venue, and in the past, I've even had random luck hailing a taxi around there and foregoing Uber entirely.

Cool_Story_Bra t1_itvyvum wrote

The Uber issues are exaggerated for the most part. It’s a mess, but mostly in that it just takes a long time. Bring a coat, don’t get too messed up, and you’ll be fine.

Someone else suggested walking down to the McDs. I usually don’t bother to do that, but I know some folks swear by it so also a fine idea. Just don’t wander too far from the crowds coming out of the venue

not_a_gumby t1_itw1z3k wrote

Best advice in DC if you're getting an uber near a busy/surge area.

It's a walkable city so just walk like a half mile away and call your uber there instead. Often will save you $10 and quite a few minutes.

dcsnarkington t1_itwjik2 wrote

Agree, however Echostage is not in a great location for a single woman to be walking around at 3AM.

The immediate vicinity has a (classy) strip club, gas station and questionable motel. The surrounding area is somewhat industrial bordered by low density residential which is not particularly high income.

I wouldnt walk .5 mile in that hood to save $20 personally. Not worth it. It's not dupont circle.

SOLA-REX t1_itxqzvc wrote

This is the best advice, but Echostage is a different beast. I would only recommend doing it in a group, but the best place to easily catch an Echostage uber is to walk north on Queens Chapel into the residential parts of Langdon around Evarts/Franklin Street. And I’d also suggest to NEVER request a ride on the southside at Bladensburg or New York Avenue after a show because you’re gonna wait a while and pay big $$$ for it.