Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

maidenofmp t1_it8lz0c wrote

My kid recently fell down half a flight of stairs. They hit their head on every step coming down and their nose started bleeding when they landed. We went to Children's for evaluation after consulting their primary care nurse line. We waited over 8 hours overnight in the filthy, crowded waiting room to be taken to a hastily cleaned "fast track" room with crushed Cheetos on the floor. I knew it would be awful, but it exceeded my low expectations. I work with adult patients elsewhere and was appalled.

Even if your kid has a serious injury, Children's (and other facilities in the region) are so short staffed and overwhelmed that they won't be seen immediately unless they present with acute, life-threatening symptoms.

It was eye-opening to see how many parents were using the ER like primary or urgent care for reasons like their kid having a fever for 3 weeks. Part of the problem is the dearth of pediatric urgent care facilities in DC proper, as well as the increasing inability to get same or next day appointments at primary care practices.

jj9979 t1_it8ris9 wrote

And here you are taking a kid to the ER for an urgent care or primary care issue...

−16

maidenofmp t1_it8ssk2 wrote

No. Head injury that results in blood or fluid leaking from a head orifice (nose, ear) indicates a potentially serious injury and warrants emergency care. We called the nurse line before going to the ER to affirm this and were told to go the ER immediately.

jj9979 t1_it8t40y wrote

And you're on edge about someone taking their kid to the ER for a 3 week fever. What pure idioicy

−6

lc1138 t1_it8x200 wrote

Yeah I had to re-read that. Mad because a kid is in the ER for a THREE WEEK fever? Um hello sounds life threatening to me and very abnormal