Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

xanadumuse t1_ixzo0gs wrote

I always find it entertaining when friends from other countries visit me and they tell me how archaic our roads are. Many people think the US is so modernized. Deaths will continue to go up until we change behavior around driving through better infrastructure, less distractions( I say make the car uncomfortable again- forget about the TVs in the car and seat warmers), smaller cars, and more importantly the willpower of Individuals to resist being selfish and be more self aware for those around you.

sumpdiddlyump_ t1_ixzuniq wrote

Just curious, but which other countries? Non-US road systems almost always feel so chaotic to me.

FatCats2fat t1_iy1jnxo wrote

Chaotic isn't necessarily bad. Part of the problem with our roads is that they're so wide and straight that drivers feel safe going way too fast.

To an extent, uncomfortable drivers are more cautious, slower, and safer.

sumpdiddlyump_ t1_iy4s006 wrote

Yeah, that’s my thinking too. The reason other countries have fewer road deaths is precisely because it’s so uncomfortable to drive, making for cautious drivers.

xanadumuse t1_ixzzao0 wrote

I just got back from a biking trip in Ireland and I felt safe there. I’ve also biked in parts of Spain, Netherlands and Belgium. Hell even Mexico with its erratic drivers at least moves over for their drivers and don’t get so upset when someone is in their “ personal space”.