Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Dare2no OP t1_iw7su14 wrote

Bars are filled with a plethora of drunkards willing to offer lots of info. If done right you could get all your information in less than an hours time then trying to search the internet, silk road etc. for information. Not every criminal knows how to hack and go to the dark corners of the web, nor has the money to buy that info. This is an old grift and I think it still stands today.

Bikerrrrrrr t1_iwcwi9d wrote

You first came on this sub asking whether it was a grift or not. Now you seem to be an expert on this matter and telling us it happened.

​

Go look up crimes in DC reported by DC MPD related to PII. I know DC bar/restaurant owners, DC MPD and DC crimes pretty well and nothing of this sort ever happens. Every bar/restaurant is equipped with video cameras and required to provide video to DC MPD. You were most likely, as I noted before, being fucked around with.

Go ahead and file a police report if you really believe it (Honestly, do it if you 100% believe it...you have every right and the sooner you report, the more likely they will get video). And post any other examples of this alleged scam happening. I will guarantee the police officer/detective will laugh in your face. My first response was upvoted by many as it is true.

​

Also, credit card companies/banks/etc now have such good anomaly detection alert reporting that they would probably get denied the first purchase they make.

But go ahead and file the report. I hope I'm wrong.