Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Playful-Translator49 t1_iw04vmt wrote

Dc has a program blue collar alley cats you can request one for your business. Also, we have colonies of feral cats in my neighborhood there’s usually a local who feeds them some. Might be through the humane rescue alliance they come and tip their ears and give them shots.

EternalMoonChild t1_iw352p1 wrote

For anyone who doesn’t know, a cat with a missing ear tip is an outdoor cat that has been spayed/neutered. It’s not lost and people are taking care of it.

shackleford_rusty t1_iw3hu1i wrote

I'm not the authority, my girlfriend is more of a cat expert than I'll ever be, but as I understand it, the ear clip means the cat has been trapped, neutered or spayed, and released back to its feral colony/its feral existence. We've fostered some cats that have had the ear clip before, and they've gone from the shelter to us to their forever homes.

It's also not a wholly missing ear tip, in case anyone misunderstands, but a little nick in the tip of the ear to denote their neuter/spay status.

Zoethor2 t1_iw65qnm wrote

Yes, the ear tip is there to avoid unnecessary trips to the shelter for a cat that has already been spayed or neutered. An easy visual marker denoting their status.