Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SquishWindow t1_j2ds057 wrote

> In the story above, the driver was not fleeing a chase, he was fleeing a traffic stop

Right, and killed a pedestrian within like a block of beginning to flee. The whole point of a no chase policy is to avoid drivers doing crazy shit that kills bystanders to get away from police. As I note every time this comes up, 1/3 of the people who die in chases are bystanders, who are 3x more likely to die in a chase than officers. You really don't want high speed chase going on through a city.

> I know some people are trying to end police traffic stops altogether, which will be another dangerous step in our descent into rampant criminality.

I don't have really strong views on how the costs & benefits of traffic stops net out. But I would love it if the city took easier steps that don't involve police confrontations to suspend driver's licenses and impound vehicles.

IcyWillow1193 t1_j2ewr18 wrote

Driver's license suspensions become meaningless if there's no risk to driving with a suspended license. Impoundment would be more effective -- I'd love to see more of that. But reckless driving is an act of violence -- it will always be a matter foremost for law enforcement personnel.