Submitted by oddchuck t3_zv5r5a in washingtondc

Hello, I just recently moved to DC...like about two months ago. The thing about me is that I do not really want to go out of my way to get a DC ID, because I don't drive and I have a career which I am planning to be there for a while, so I am not going to job hunt or anything. Therefore, I just don't see the use of a DC ID because I would only need it to buy alcohol, which my current ID works fine.

Nevertheless, everyone (mainly my coworkers) are telling me that I should look into it, saying that I could gain more benefits from DC. Then when I was on the metro the other day, I was talking to someone who moved from another state and said they recently got a DC ID for the benefits. Now, I am curious should I get a DC ID? If I should, what benefits would I qualify for?

My salary is 51k, I live by myself, and cover all of my expenses...struggling...but maintaining. If DC could help, I would gladly take the support. I just don't want to waste my time and get a DC ID and get no support from DC. If they could, what programs are suited for me...or where can I look?

​

TLDR: I recently moved to DC, people keep telling me to get a DC ID for the benefits. But making 51k a year, paying my own rent, and covering my expenses...I don't know which benefits DC could provide me.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Playful-Translator49 t1_j1napvl wrote

You can use the libraries for tons of stuff with a DC Id, they’ve got gyms, pools, fabrication lab etc. you’d most likely be able to print visitor parking depending on where you live. I think DC residents are going to get a $100 metro subsidy monthly as well.

FlowersBloomUntil t1_j1nmh1d wrote

You don’t need a dc id for a library card, just bring a piece of mail to the library when you sign up!

lola28305 t1_j1oo7q0 wrote

Can you expand more on the metro subsidy?

rachs1988 t1_j1oodp0 wrote

It’s currently a proposal. No rollout yet.

3hip5u t1_j1ncqye wrote

I think the only benefit to getting a DC ID/license is being able to log in and get a visitor parking pass. Otherwise, you can use a lease, phone bill, bank statement, etc, with your current DC address on it, to access DC rec centers, pools, and the DC public library.

Savageride t1_j1pswj3 wrote

Well the law states that you have to get a new ID based on your new address. It’s the law……….

freelancerjourn t1_j1os9ow wrote

You could use a non-driver’s ID for other things than just purchasing alcohol. For example, if you’re going to the doctor or an urgent care center here you might be asked for a health insurance card and/or ID. Thus, especially since you indicated you plan on being here in DC for a while, I would recommend you get your non-driver’s ID.

4RunnerPilot t1_j1nfjlh wrote

FYI, you can get a DC ID and keep your home state ID. There’s no way for them to check, and just make sure you’re only registered to vote in only one place.

[deleted] t1_j1o3au9 wrote

[deleted]

4RunnerPilot t1_j1oa4zp wrote

OP is requesting an ID, which is slightly different than a DL.

[deleted] t1_j1obm6k wrote

[deleted]

4RunnerPilot t1_j1obv3m wrote

And that is exactly my point in my response to op. How else can I help you? Bringing up your FL DL has nothing to do with it.

RaccoonZombie t1_j1oggtk wrote

I’m not sure what benefits people are referring to. You make too much to get SNAP or utility assistance.