Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Pure_Contact5891 t1_j0z5ffr wrote

"We added estimated crowding info in 21 stations with our newest Next Train signs. Shown next to the car length, this info is based on previous trends of each train at a particular stop to determine if you get a seat, need to spread out, or wait!"

What is the source of the trend data?

Edit:

kevin_from_illinois mentioned above that "Google Maps has been showing it for a while. I suspect it is based on localization data from smartphones."

JohnJohnston t1_j0zhcb4 wrote

If the station master wakes up and sees his shadow the train is crowded. If he doesn't see his shadow then the train is on fire.

LoganSquire t1_j0zelb2 wrote

Take hand, extend finger, lick, hold up to wind.

keyjan t1_j0zhr6s wrote

My question exactly. If the lead car is packed, and the rest of the train pretty empty, does the train operator say his/her train is β€œπŸ§β€β™€οΈπŸ§πŸ§β€β™€οΈβ€œ ?

kevin_from_illinois t1_j124n3o wrote

That may be for historical trends, it could also be from station entrances and exits. Interestingly metrobuses actually have a live indicator of bus capacity, it is explained here: https://www.wmata.com/about/news/Real-Time-Crowding.cfm

I've updated my previous comment accordingly.

Note that the article explicitly states that the tech is not installed on train cars, at least during December 2020.