Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

taxwithoutrep t1_j1122pq wrote

Former cop (Boston area). Worked for MCPD as a dispatcher while going through flight school. MCPD is a solid place to work but you’ll find a lot of terrible attitudes. County govt doesn’t really support MCPD like they should. They’ve really been struggling to hire, might be to your advantage. Take home cruiser is a nice perk. Lots of specialized units if you don’t want to work patrol. Plenty of quiet areas and bullshit calls if you want to be a lazier cop. (Won’t be like that if you work in 3D or 4D; i.e. Wheaton/Silver Spring).

MPD is a more interesting place to work. You will likely be worked harder, deal with more mental illness and the bar scene. Might be less gang activity in DC, PG and Montgomery have more of it. You are going to be dealing with a lot of interagency operations. USSS, WMATA, DHS, FBI, DOJ, NPS and USCP. Great jumping off point if you want to move into the feds, and you’ll meet feds. Meeting feds is how you’ll get a fed job (unless you’re a veteran, then it doesn’t matter so much). MPD is desperate for good people. Don’t fall into the corruption, it’s there. I have seen cops get paid off in cash. It’s tempting, but don’t do it. Be an upstanding cop and MPD is a great place to work and launch your career.

Edit: I have not seen MPD officers take bribes per se. I have see other officers in other jurisdictions do so.

9throwawayDERP t1_j14npsf wrote

lol just hang out in the sleepy parts of 2D. mostly just car crashes.

drr71-2 t1_j15rnyu wrote

You didn't say anything about having worked for MPD.... but you've seen MPD officers take cash bribes?

taxwithoutrep t1_j173jnm wrote

I have not seen any MPD officers accept cash bribes. This was not clear from context, apologies. I do know that some traffic guys used to run a bit of an extortion racket, of which a family member was a victim, but that was 15 years ago. The post body-cam world has changed things for the better.

−2

drr71-2 t1_j177xvl wrote

You should edit your comment and make it clear... that's a really bad accusation that sure reads like it's about MPD officers and culture at MPD and OP or others may take that into consideration on a career choice.