Submitted by Districtinsomniac t3_10nhrht in washingtondc

Recently had the luxury of taking over responsibility for my 12 unit HOA in NE. This morning I saw our trash collection company (a day late, mind you) collect our trash and recycling and mix it all into one truck. I know this had been reported before. It’s pretty annoying since I’m sure it’s illegal and we pay to separate our garbage. My co-directors tell me that they’re pretty sure this is every private trash collection company in the city is this bad, late and doesn’t care about recycling. Anyone have any recommendations? I am totally open to switching companies for a reliable company that at least tries to recycle. Any advice is welcomed!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

releasesafeties t1_j68t11j wrote

I'm on the board of our HOA too and we had pretty much the exact same issue. When the contact was up, we terminated the previous hauler (Tenleytown) and switched to a new one (Republic Services). Service seems to be better and they definitely separate trash and recycle, at least at our property.

Districtinsomniac OP t1_j68upod wrote

Interesting. Was doing some google research and heard terrible things about Republic but glad you all are having a positive experience. Maybe they turned a few things around?

releasesafeties t1_j68wdto wrote

Yea I'm not sure if they've done anything different. Sometimes they'll miss a collection day, but usually if our property manager calls, they arrange for a same-day later pick-up or will come the next day. So far, no complaints!

angrydad69 t1_j6akokc wrote

Generally you will have better service moving away from one of the big 3 trash collection companies, but things like mixing recycling and solid waste is an industry wide problem

Playful-Translator49 t1_j68vvii wrote

Same this is what they do. Also, there aren’t really any recycling plants around so it’s not getting recycled anyway. They claim it’s all sorted at a facility. Is this the former tenley town trash now republic or something? We have them too same issues forever.

Districtinsomniac OP t1_j68w7mx wrote

Kbg or something like that.

Playful-Translator49 t1_j68wxoy wrote

Thanks. We haven’t enjoyed the switch, however, they have been. Little more on schedule lately. We tried to find other vendors but there aren’t many games in town.