Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

tsfliss16 t1_j64h646 wrote

If you don’t have an issue with needles, you could donate plasma. Believe you can go a couple times a week and it’s around $50 per session. Takes about an hour each time you go.

johnbburg t1_j658em3 wrote

Wait, people get paid for that? I was donating to the Red Cross free for years.

app_priori t1_j65daw3 wrote

Donating blood plasma is different than donating blood. Donating blood plasma is much more invasive and you do come out of each session a little fatigued. Blood plasma is typically used in scientific research and there's a shortage of it, hence why people are paid to donate.

Blood's much easier.

johnbburg t1_j65i6hm wrote

I’m pretty sure I’ve donated plasma, it’s a much longer process, takes a couple of hours, and the let you watch a movie during it. It’s been a few years since I did it, but I was never paid.

tsfliss16 t1_j65dtaj wrote

Huh I didn’t even know the RC took plasma donations (assuming you’re not talking about blood, like the other commenter mentioned). But yeah, you can sell your plasma to other companies.

The Red Cross does great work, though (I donate blood to them as much as I can), so it’s not like you were donating it to some shady company at least.

johnbburg t1_j65ispo wrote

I'm pretty sure it was plasma, since I've done regular blood before as well, and the procedures are very different. Yeah, I couldn't keep up taking three hours out of every other weekend to donate after I had kids.