Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

firewarner t1_j669pk6 wrote

tbf what is the school supposed to do? It's not an all day daycare for the kids. Where are their parents?

202reddit t1_j68ngcb wrote

Some schools have teachers or school resource officers stationed between school and mass transit stops. This is for the protection of both the community and the kids. In the absence of school resource officers or staff, it's going to be MPD. That's a set up for something bad to happen. MPD is not skilled at de-escalation and teens with group think and hormones are prone to terrible decisions.

I'm guessing based on your Reddit profile and questions/comments that you don't live over here or have kids in MS or HS. This is not like demanding to know why schools are not omnipresent. This is 2 blocks from the school on the commuting path to metro at a known hot spot.

firewarner t1_j68o9ti wrote

Yeah, I don’t have kids.

It’s very interesting to me that the school puts their staff outside of school property to try and mitigate potential conflicts between the kids. Makes sense, but it also puts a lot of pressure on them to chaperone like that.

202reddit t1_j66awbo wrote

Those two things are not mutually exclusive and you clearly don't send your kids to schools in DC. MS and HS in DC have staff stationed at release to prevent conflict between kids.

Your response is both lazy AND uninformed - well done bro!!

−13

Tahh t1_j66yo1h wrote

I'm still curious how you think kipp is going to stop teenagers from going to Union Market.