Submitted by chefdrew00 t3_10kxtwl in washingtondc

Hi! Does anyone know where I would be able to access a 3D printer to print out a small stand for an espresso WDT tool? Trying to print it for a gift to someone. It looks like the FabLab in the library is closed for the foreseeable future. Thanks!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

buggywool t1_j5tis5l wrote

MLK library

chefdrew00 OP t1_j5tiwby wrote

Sadly their website is showing that they’ve closed their 3D printer to the public for the winter

Playful-Translator49 t1_j5to159 wrote

I just took the fabrication lab class last week, they have 6 3D printers you can sign up for 2 hour time blocks to use. You even can buy the materials there. The woodworking shop and laser cutters are not all the way set up but the other items are. Only 2 of us showed up for the 8 person intro slot so I’m guessing if you show up for a full intro class they would have room to accommodate you as they get a lot of no shows.

Gumburcules t1_j5tvi2k wrote

> I just took the fabrication lab class last week,

How'd you register for that? I've tried to register several times and every time the scheduling thing says there are no open classes no matter how far forward I check.

chefdrew00 OP t1_j5towcy wrote

Good info, thanks! I’m not sure why their website is showing that they aren’t accepting appointments but I might just drop by or call. Appreciate it!

GenericReditAccount t1_j5tkx6q wrote

Any indication as to why? Covid protocol, maybe? Seems like an odd service to shut down seasonally.

buggywool t1_j5tlz3b wrote

Shit I work for DCPL (not at MLK) and didn’t know that. It may be staff shortages, we’re running really low especially since hours were expanded.

Playful-Translator49 t1_j5toxah wrote

It’s up and running, you can use the podcast studio, media lab to transfer old vhs etc to useable format, sewing machines, recording studio, dance studio, sewing machines and 3D printers. The laser cutters, woodworking, heat press and cricut machines are still off limit. You can take a class with Arlington county li rät and use theirs as well.

chefdrew00 OP t1_j5tm4dv wrote

I wish I knew! They closed down the scheduling app and said they were “revamping things for the winter”.

Playful-Translator49 t1_j5tpc9y wrote

Yep they had 3 smaller 3D printers and 3 larger ones all up and running. You can use them for 2 two hour time blocks per month but, if you show up and no one is using them or the person signed up is more than 15 min late you can score extra time as well. No guarantee but possible. Only 1 of 6 were being used when I went.

schwars1 t1_j5ti7c3 wrote

Try ordering online. Treatstock is good for small plastic parts but i.materialise would be a better option for something metal and higher quality.

chefdrew00 OP t1_j5tpqjr wrote

Thanks everyone for the info! I’ll drop by this week or give them a call for the definite answer in what’s going on with their scheduling but sounds like I’ll be able to get in some how. Appreciate it!!

Edit: I called and now it looks like they’ve reopened the scheduling portal. So anyone that needs to use it as well, it should be up and running!

fortyeightbits t1_j5tlg8o wrote

If you don't mind travelling a little, some MD libraries have them and the printing price is pretty reasonable I think. I believe I've used Silver Spring's before.

surewould85 t1_j5tuw9o wrote

I used to use 3D Hubs to get local printer owners to print small parts but it seems that they did a bait and switch in 2019. Would be curious if anyone knows of any similar services that have popped up?

kevin_from_illinois t1_j5txes5 wrote

But sure if they're still around but there was a service called PrintXYZ at one point with a similar schtick.

There are also professional services (Protolabs, Xometry, etc) but they tend to be pretty expensive.

MCStarlight t1_j5x4aga wrote

Makerspaces usually have them

jlboygenius t1_j5tknva wrote

Buy one! Ender 3's are cheap and pretty good. Microcenter used to have them for $100.