Submitted by cjazz24 t3_10jmeah in washingtondc

I’m looking at joining a gym. Looks like the only real options within reasonable distance are the YMCA Anthony Bowen or Vida U street. Looking for anyone to share their experience (positive or negative).

For context, I typically do a mix of yoga and cycling classes at the gym. I would have considering class pass but it doesn’t seem like it’s enough bang for the buck in DC. Based on reviews is seems like:

Vida has better equipment and classes, but has hidden fees/is difficult to cancel. More expensive

YMCA has decent facilities but classes are less challenging

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

SDC83 t1_j5m7sq5 wrote

VIDA has way better equipment but I go to the Y because it is cheaper and closer to my home (which in the morning before work makes a big difference to me). But I get really frustrated with the Y’s slack of equipment. They somehow lost equipment after the pandemic too - like I don’t even know how that happened. It’s good enough but if something better opened I would switch in a second.

I don’t do classes so can’t say one way or the other.

UrbanForagerX t1_j5mk9f6 wrote

Have had memberships at both and miss living within a reasonable distance of Anthony Bowen YMCA. It’s somewhat cheaper but my real reason for loving the place was that the diversity of age and ethnicity at the Y made me feel welcome and safe. The staff don’t have the fake perky smile and tone of the VIDA gyms but they also don’t constantly try to pitch you more services and extras to buy. I kept asking VIDA to remove me from their sale pitch emails (no unsubscribe option) and it made no difference. Every week someone would personally reach out and offer something. The gym itself wasn’t much better equipped than the Y but it was 30-40% more expensive and I never felt totally welcome there. I left the gym and am wishing we had more Ys in the District.

cjazz24 OP t1_j5mkwvv wrote

Did you happen to take any classes at either?

UrbanForagerX t1_j5mmk0z wrote

Not many. I did like that my VIDA location had a couple of pelotons. I don’t have one so that was my only “instructor led” experience in the gym. At the Y I took some classes and they were nice enough but I prefer working out on my own.

AdditionalAttorney t1_j5n3l2i wrote

Vida was super easy to cancel. I was shocked. I was prepared for a fight bc of general gym cancellation horror stories. But it was super easy and available but to do online.

I haven’t found there were hidden fees

I love their facilities bc they are spa like

cjazz24 OP t1_j5pyfp8 wrote

Good to know. Thanks for sharing !

Deep_Stick8786 t1_j5lbsz1 wrote

YMCA anthony bowen was great for my family when we lived close by. We still use the indoor pool and swim classes there. My wife and I did classes (mostly spin, grit and bodypump) regularly and learned which trainers had the more fun/challenging classes pretty quickly. The facilities are great and equipment was always clean/working. Its a full community center so they have non gym activities for people and summer camps as well. The weight room below is pretty decent as well. Wifi inside is limited though

cjazz24 OP t1_j5lc0h1 wrote

Do you happen to remember which instructors were good? I can trial a class there.

Deep_Stick8786 t1_j5lcafu wrote

Honestly, its been several years since I’ve done classes there. Mostly just use the indoor pool for swim lessons for the kids now. I wouldn’t know who is there now

MammothBobcat251 t1_j5lmv8z wrote

Haven’t been to the Y yet but don’t personally love Vida and have plans to try the Y at some point. Vida isn’t bad it was just always busy when I wanted to lift and I had put together a modest home gym during the pandemic so just don’t want to fight for spots. I also feel I’m not the demographic they are marketing to and the selection of classes and times plus the distance of all of their locations to my home just meant I was going less and less. I’d give Vida a try and not sign up for anything unless you really like it, you could love it.

endlessly_apollo t1_j5lvxub wrote

And whom is the market demographic?

MammothBobcat251 t1_j5m36ru wrote

Yeah. And let me also be extra clear, not being the demo being primarily marketed to is not the reason I left it just meant there was no draw for me. It’s also not good or bad that they have a target audience. If they had a location that was more convenient, or I didn’t have my own gym equipment, or they had classes I was interested in I would have stayed. I gave the place a year and found myself going less and less and I’m a huge gym rat. In that time maybe three or four people tried to talk to me and when I tried to use the co-ed steam room I got weirdly stared at by all the men in there.

Coming from a gym where there was a lot of community I just found myself sad about the lack there- but that’s also the transient nature of some of DC at play too.

I think the OP was looking for opinions and I gave mine but I also very clearly stated that they should give it a try and see what they think because I also have friends that love it there. It’s not a bad place it just wasn’t my place.

MammothBobcat251 t1_j5lwmit wrote

I think a certain demographic of gay men. I say that as a queer woman with a ton of gay male friends who absolutely love it and also based on their advertising and choice of music etc. Not a bad thing but it doesn’t feel fully inclusive in a way I can’t put my finger on and I’ve known a few people who have also felt that way and left. My last gym was a small queer owned gym that was the most inclusive and homey gym I’ve ever belonged to so the difference in vibes was super apparent.

Cool_Story_Bra t1_j5lzfzu wrote

Annecdotal support for that being the target demographic is my female boss who goes to Vida specifically because “it’s full of gay guys who aren’t trying to hit on me and let me work out in peace”

20CAS17 t1_j5n50uq wrote

Wow, I was about to make this same post but adding in the Columbia Heights Washington Sports Club (and maybe F45, Madabolic, etc.) - thank you!