Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

yoyo456 t1_j9n9a0y wrote

Don't worry, Ramadan starts in around a month and that's what Bibi is counting on.

GiantAxon t1_j9pczm5 wrote

How does Ramadan help bibi?

yoyo456 t1_j9qg383 wrote

Ramadan almost always bring more tension between Israeli and Palestinians. Last year with with a Bennet-Lapid government, we saw a much quester than usual Ramadan. We'll see what is going to happen this year, but National Security minister Itamar Ben Gvir already announced he plans on making fireworks illegal (a usual Ramadan celebration especially towards the end and Eid al Fitr) meaning that he is opening the door to tons of arrests of Arabs. Meanwhile next week is the Jewish holiday of Purim, when Jews also often like to light off fireworks. And I can guarantee you that no Jews will be arrested for this either.

GiantAxon t1_j9qh1c1 wrote

Why would he be banning fireworks? Any ideas? Do the Palestinians ever use them to launch at police or civilians as part of their Ramadan celebrations?

I looked up what you said about last year. This article seems to suggest 2022 was the worst since 2015 in terms of casualties, which doesn't quite fit what you said. Any ideas why?

>The number of casualties is the highest seen in such a short period of time since 2015. Unlike then, however, when the majority of the attacks were characterized as “lone wolf” knife attacks in Jerusalem and the West Bank, the latest attacks in Israel were boldly carried out in major cities in the heart of the country with the use of automatic weapons.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/fears-grow-renewed-violence-israel-ahead-ramadan/story?id=83757022

Also, I thought Israelis light fire works on independence day, not during Purim. Is it common to have fireworks displays for purim? Isn't that the holiday where they eat hamentachen?