Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

MMBerlin t1_ja7ibpg wrote

This statement is intellectually poor: of course there are other ways of ending this war, too.

For instance, Russia could return all its military behind its internationally recognized borders - war would be over immediately. Or Ukraine could stop fighting - the war would be over too, as well as Ukraine as an independent nation.

I can't fathom why SA, a former colony, cannot understand the wish of ukrainians to live as an independent nation and not as a russian colony.

RicketyEdge t1_ja7js3d wrote

>I can't fathom why SA, a former colony, cannot understand the wish of ukrainians to live as an independent nation and not as a russian colony.

It’s more the ANC than South Africa.

The ANC and Moscow are buddies, Moscow funded/equipped them during Apartheid.

MMBerlin t1_ja7k8v7 wrote

>Moscow funded/equipped them during Apartheid.

But actually it was the Soviet Union who supported the ANC, and Ukraine was part of it. So why the sympathies for the dominant aggressor and not the smaller victim?

Omryn814 t1_ja7t823 wrote

Same reason you see people on here equate the USSR and Russia: revisionist history (revisionist lies that the current Russian regime supports) and ignorance of the internal workings of the USSR. For instance, the majority of time the USSR existed it was under non-Russian leadership and many of its heroes were similarly diverse.

useless_mlungu t1_jaa214i wrote

This is a commonly misunderstood fact by the majority of non-South Africans. And for those saying "yes but that was an agreement between the ANC and the former USSR", well the ANC and modern day Russia don't see it that way.

ZeroBS-Policy t1_ja84b1g wrote

This is exactly why the Reagan administration supported apartheid. The ANC was in bed with the Soviets.

abdefff t1_ja8egnt wrote

Reagan didn't really supported apartheid,he was just reluctant to impose sanctions against SA regime as long as they fought pro - soviet forces in southern Africa.

JimBean t1_ja7m975 wrote

> is intellectually poor

Our government (SA) is intellectually challenged.

saoupla t1_ja7oahs wrote

Or the US can activate some sleeper agents within the Kremlin to dispose of the putain.

[deleted] t1_ja7jwmx wrote

[deleted]

−7

MMBerlin t1_ja7l00n wrote

The war started when russian military entered Crimea ("little green men") and Donbas ("separatists") in 2014, not a second earlier.

And all ethnic minorities were allowed to vote in Ukraine, on all levels of administration, as long as they live under the administration of the ukrainian government or are registered with ukrainian embassies in foreign countries.

is0ph t1_ja7lc9h wrote

To the east of Ukraine is a huge state that has colonized many nations and is stealing their oil and gas to make its oligarchy hideously rich and fund further colonization.

Foxtrot_338 t1_ja7r1ue wrote

Russia and Ukraine talk for peace. Russia says they should keep the land they've conquered. Ukraine says that can't happen. Russia says they tried their best, but "Ukraine doesn't want peace talks".

BummyFingers t1_ja7i892 wrote

Something along the lines "Russia: stop your murderous campaign and get the fuck out of Ukraine"

Sensitive-Pirate-461 t1_ja7n5d7 wrote

Why would anyone listen to a government that allows their country to be pillaged by russia and china, time the people of SA stopped this drain of resources.

tandemuis365 OP t1_ja7ni4l wrote

As long as the corrupt ANC is in charge, this will never end. It will get worse, like it does year after year.

useless_mlungu t1_jaa2o0o wrote

Easier said than done. The ANC preached that they would educate the rural previously downtrodden masses. All they have done is keep them poor, uneducated and downtrodden, but give them empty promises, a free t-shirt and a crappy concert every 5 years and they are voted in again. They also play racial politics to keep the uneducated majority in check.

This is how they've managed to keep a hold onto power. It is slipping gradually, but not before they take the country down with them.

Sensitive-Pirate-461 t1_jaa9d9r wrote

Thanks mfungu, if they carry on allowing Russia and china to drain the country of resources they will find themselves as poor as the people they keep down trodden that's for sure.

useless_mlungu t1_jaahs8v wrote

In some ways I wish that would happen to those corrupt elites, but sadly that would come at the cost of the masses.

Lost-Matter-5846 t1_ja7k66i wrote

We keep saying it can be diplomatically solved, all that needs to be done is the withdrawal of all Russian forces from Ukrainian land

FM-101 t1_ja7mz3p wrote

>'Diplomacy and dialogue' the only way to end Russia-Ukraine war

Thats not true at all. russia could literally end the war today by simply going home and staying in their own country and nobody would bother them.

Ill-Ad3311 t1_ja80g64 wrote

Who started it without even talking ? It is the aggressors who must back down first before talking can happen .

Crowasaur t1_ja7qxft wrote

Isn't SA hosting a Chinese naval base?

>"In 2021, the total stock of FDI from China in South Africa amounted to about 5.29 billion U.S. dollars."

>In South Africa, for example, China has invested in several projects including expanding Durban's port facilities, constructing a coal-fired power plant (Kusile) and establishing the Musina-Makhado Special Economic Zone in Limpopo.

There it is.

South Africa is parrotting Chinese talking points because they are indepted to China.

This is the Chinese playbook in action, once they can't repay the investment, China moves to concessions.

That 'merchant port' being built? Curious how it fits warships.

SpinozaTheDamned t1_ja8emgo wrote

What's sad here is that any of Russia's allies think Russia is listening to them. At best they're viewing it as, 'polite suggestions '. Russia will always believe it's the big boy leader in whatever international bloc they're a part of.

sugartoad555 t1_ja7qqsd wrote

cut off the head, and the body will die.

carnalurge82 t1_ja8bxn7 wrote

Why do we keep calling the Russian invasion of the Ukraine a war? It's not really a war its an invasion. Get Russia the f out.

zhamz t1_ja8la66 wrote

I can think of another way.

Department883 t1_ja92mxo wrote

South African Government can’t even keep the electricity on for 24 hours. They should rather concentrate on their piss poor performance in the country and solve their own problems rather than giving any advice to another country. So living up to the stereotypical “African Leadership.“

autotldr t1_ja7itbx wrote

This is the best tl;dr I could make, original reduced by 75%. (I'm a bot)

> The South African government maintains that diplomacy and dialogue is the only path to resolving the bloody war between Russia and Ukraine.

> Responding to the UN General Assembly vote on Thursday demanding that Russia pull its troops out of Ukraine, the Department of International Relations and Cooperation said South Africa continued to express its deep regrets about the war in Ukraine.

> "This resolution on the war in Ukraine, comes amidst an influx of arms to the region, perpetuating greater acts of violence and increased human suffering. This, together with the threat of nuclear war makes peace seem less attainable. Over the last year, the UN General Assembly has adopted a series of resolutions on Ukraine," Dirco said.

Extended Summary | FAQ | Feedback | Top keywords: Ukraine^#1 war^#2 South^#3 peace^#4 resolution^#5

JimBean t1_ja7md15 wrote

They starting to sound like Russia. Tired....

markedbeamazed t1_ja8q8vu wrote

Russia can end this war by pulling out of all Ukrainian territory. Russia is the one who started this war by invading another country.

Budson420 t1_ja8zywo wrote

Sometimes I think Reddit would rather this war never end

Shuber-Fuber t1_jaavgy4 wrote

Well, there's a clear end.

Russia returns everything they've taken to Ukraine.

There, war ends.

Budson420 t1_jab0kw0 wrote

That’s never going to happen and you know it

Shuber-Fuber t1_jabg1g5 wrote

So we should award an imperial nation for their invasion?

Budson420 t1_jacgvf7 wrote

You also know that’s not what I’m saying. Stop being disingenuous

Shuber-Fuber t1_jaczff7 wrote

You're certainly not offering any alternatives.

Budson420 t1_jad0b4b wrote

Wars don’t end by one party saying they are wrong and turning back. The only way for it to end is through negotiated settlement. I know people have their emotional gut reaction which is fine but it just doesn’t reflect the reality of the situation. Russia savagely invaded Ukraine and is not going anywhere. These borders have changed countless times throughout history. The only way the fighting and senseless death stops is through a negotiated settlement. This will become even more apparent as the war approaches a stalemate meat-grinder

Shuber-Fuber t1_jad8viv wrote

>Wars don’t end by one party saying they are wrong and turning back. The only way for it to end is through negotiated settlement.

Negotiation is ongoing. That's what wars are, negotiation. It's up to Ukraine and Russia to decide when the cost is too high, and there's absolutely nothing wrong for Ukrainian allies to make sure that cost is tilted as heavily against Russia as possible.

Russia already committed genocide against Ukraine once (Holodomor). Russia (at least Putin) already announced the intention to erase Ukrainian identity (also a genocide). So let me ask you this, how high a price would you pay to not get killed or enslaved? Or would you want someone on your side to make sure the cost to enslave you is high enough for those wishing to enslave you that they go home?

That's ultimately what this war is about, Ukrainian wishing not to be enslaved, and their allies supporting that wish. And every negotiated settlement will have to include Russia no longer have a chance to enslave Ukrainians.

Kewenfu t1_jaaprux wrote

South Africa, bought and paid for.